An Introverted Life: Collegiette’s Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

College is supposed to the best years of your life; or at least, that’s what people keep saying. But as an introvert, finding the time and energy to participate in parties, extra curricular activities, or even make new friends, is a day-to-day challenge.

1. When you want to make friends, but don’t know how.
Talking to new people is such a difficult task! You remember a time when you were interested in meeting people, going out and partying, but that all seems so far away. Everybody is talking about their crazy plans for the weekend, but you just can’t relate because you aren’t interested in any of that stuff.

2. You drag yourself outside to a party, but realize everybody but you is obsessed with drinking.

Getting your butt out of bed is a difficult enough feat, let alone going to a party… Now, you are surrounded by people you don’t know, having an anxiety attack because tons of people want to talk to you but you just aren’t interested, and you might even have to babysit your friends while they have a great time. An hour into whole thing, you start to feel like you should have just made an excuse and not have gone at all.

3. Speaking of creating fake excuses… you are the master of fibbing, mostly because you don’t want to hurt anybodys’ feelings by saying you’d rather just stay home.

Having friends and going out is great, but wanting to stay home can feel even better. The worst feeling is making plans that sounded fun one day, but then cancelling them 15 minutes before they actually happen because you just don’t feel up to it. Your friends might get really mad, but they’ll get over it; and you’ll be happier you didn’t put yourself in a situation you didn’t want to be in.

4. People seem shocked that you just don’t want to talk 24/7 (or about stupid things, like boys…)

In college, everybody has drama coming in all different directions; it’s tough to keep up! As you get older, you realize that so many issues are petty and unnecessary, Going to class and being in room with more than 8 people at a time is exhausting enough, but having people who want to constantly talk outside of class is just too much. This doesn’t mean that we don’t welcome any conversation! Just don’t get so mad when we take time to reply; sometimes it’s hard to find the energy to text/call/email back.

5. Being an introvert during college is hard, because people are telling us “we’re missing out.”

Just know that we are happy where we are; don’t try to change us. If you see us reading a book, sitting alone and listening to music, not talking much during class, that’s just who we are! Have respect for our way of life, and we will have respect for yours. We may live life in perfect harmony.

21 // UHM // writer & bibliophile
Shiina LoSciuto is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa studying journalism and communications. She someday hopes to be a TV talk show host, as well as become BFFs with Taylor Swift. In her free time she is taking naps or obsessing over the show Scandal.