This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

We all know that living in Hawaii means flying to get wherever we need to be for the holidays. For some, that means going cross country and for others, it’s just a quick flight to a neighboring island. Whatever your case may be, flights are expensive. College is pricey as is and the added expense of flying can put a strain on many people.

Here are a few tips on how to find the best flights for the cheapest prices.

1. Expedia is always a good place to start your search. Expedia will look at multiple flights from different airlines and compare what’s the best price for your trip.
  2. Utilize apps that track flight prices and can tell you when flights are at their cheapest. Hopper is a perfect example of a app that can help you book flights at the best time while making sure you’re not paying too much.
  3. Don’t be afraid to book tickets on different airlines. There are no rules saying you have to fly home and back on the same airline. Often times, it can be cheaper to fly on two separate airlines.
  4. Booking one way tickets can also be cheaper at times. It may take some mental math and time to see if it is indeed worth it to do this, but it can pay off in the long run.
  5. If there are multiple airports you can fly in to, make sure you check them all; because, more often than not, one will be cheaper than the others.
  6. Try to avoid flying on weekends because fairs are always more expensive.
  7. Don’t be afraid to book your flight late. Not something you hear often, but sometimes waiting can pay off. Tickets go down right before your trip date because airlines need to fill their planes.
  8. Don’t always trust airlines to show you the best prices on their websites. If you call the airline they can oftentimes find you cheaper flights for your vacation dates.

So overall, don’t stick to one airline, always compare all flight possibilities, and don’t be afraid to fly two separate airlines for your trip! Happy travels!

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!