Disney’s Breakup with Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

In case you haven’t heard already, Disney has made the choice to take their content off Netflix and start their own streaming service. Yes, you read that right—you will no longer be able to binge watch your fav Disney characters while procrastinating midterm study guides. However, don’t panic yet! According to Time, “Disney movies that are currently on Netflix [and are planned to release in theaters in 2018] will be available for streaming through the end of 2019.”

Disney also owns popular networks such as ABC—which also produces some of our fav shows to binge watch. Can you say Grey’s? So, what does this mean for the fate of our ABC favorites on Netflix? Now that Disney has acquired FOX, Disney is the majority shareholder of Hulu, which means that it has been speculated by What’s on Netflix that ABC content could be moving to solely Hulu. While Netflix is currently the largest streaming platform, this can’t be good news for them. Do note that ABC’s removal from Netflix is just rumored has NOT been confirmed by Disney.

However, if this news has you fired up and ready to cancel your current Netflix subscription and sign up for Hulu—assuming you don’t already have both—don’t switch yet! Netflix is still the producer of fan favorites such as Orange is the New Black and the ever-popular Stranger Things. This just means that us poor college students may need to pick up an extra shift to afford BOTH subscriptions.

If superheroes are your thing, you’re in luck! According to Deadline, the latest info on Disney’s streaming service says that Marvel (is there anything Disney ~doesn’t~ own?) will remain on Netflix—at least for now. There will also be a new Marvel series on the Disney streaming platform.

So if not Marvel (yet), what will be on Disney’s streaming service? Every Disney movie ever ~obviously~ as well as some classic movies from their new asset, 20th Century Fox, such as Ice Age, reports SyFy Wire. Deadline also mentions that Disney will be creating new and original content for the streaming service, such as a series based on Monsters Inc. and a live-action Lady and the Tramp! Real(ish) puppies running around the city and falling in love? Yes please! No price has been mentioned.

As upsetting as this news may be, it’s really just more of an inconvenience than anything else. And despite this disappointment, I for one am still excited about the new Disney content—even if it will only be offered on Disney’s streaming service. Ready to subscribe?

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!