Campus Cutie: Blake Fogle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is Blake Fogle! You may know him from KTUH, but he’s more than meets the ear. Keep on reading to meet the handsome corgi loving human that walks our campus. 

Name: Blake Fogle

Major: Marketing & International Business

Relationship Status: Currently giving long distance a shot (with my corgi, Chloe)

Hometown: Parker, Colorado

I hear you are a new DJ at KTUH, tell me a little bit about how you got interested in the program:

Interestingly enough, getting involved as a radio DJ had never occurred to me. For years I’ve been involved in live music in a variety of ways–I’ve taught myself a number of instruments and I jam with some of my buddies back home–all who are significantly more talented than I-but I never really saw myself mixing on air at any point. It was some time last year that I ran into a booth during orientation, the people seemed awesome and the idea of being able to share my ideas and musical spectrum on air with an entire island seemed even better, so I decided to give it a shot – and I haven’t looked back since!

What is your favorite part about it so far?

There are so many great facets that come with being involved with radio, but I would have to say, above all else, discovering new music is the best part. There’s always a desire to top your last show. The station gets a constant flow of new albums coming in, on top of the already tens of thousands of albums and vinyl they have in their vaults. The potential for discovering new artists is wild. I’ve stumbled upon some of the greatest treasures that some people might never get to hear otherwise, so getting to play some of these gems on air feels really good! When you think about it, there’s so much music already out there, and so much music continuing to be made, that you could spend your entire life doing nothing but listening to music and you still couldn’t listen to it all.

What kind of future hopes do you have for yourself in the program?

I just recently took up a more prominent position with KTUH as the new office manager and it’s been really fun. There honestly isn’t much that beats helping run a radio station with other students that are just as passionate about music as you are. I guess from here I’m hoping I can get a time slot during the day that has a lot more listeners than my current slot of late Saturday night – like a weekday rush-hour slot or something.

Why should people listen to KTUH?

Well for one we don’t ever play any commercials! We always have a live DJ in the studio so you aren’t getting some of the pre-recorded sets that most other radio stations do late at night. We also aren’t even allowed to play anything from the Billboard Top 100 so you’re bound to discover some new music if you listen for even just 15 minutes. There’s such a variety in musical tastes that exists between the different DJs. I guess I could also add that almost every DJ will take any and all requests at any given time so if you want to share a song on air you can do so whenever!

Just for fun:

Describe your dream girl: Big. Like, really big. A girl that makes me look like a friggin hobbit. I just want a girl that I can cuddle up into as she wraps me up in her protecting arms. Plus little spoon is way more comfortable?

Where is the coolest place you have ever been? This is a hard one! I lived in Germany for a few years when I was younger and it was such a beautiful place. More recently I spent a semester in New Zealand, which in my opinion has got to do Middle Earth the most justice that any country ever could. Plus there are sheep and cow farms stretching for hundreds of miles in all of the countryside, and considering cows are my favorite animals, I always found myself pretty content.

If you could have anybody in the world take you on any date, who would it be with and what would you do? Ok so basically I’ve got a lot of good screenplays in the works, so I’d make an awesome and weird director like M. Night Shyamalan take me out. We’d go somewhere romantic like a turtle farm or a haunted house and after a long night of flirting and maybe even putting out a little, I’d convince him to let me write a movie with him, with me as the star. Plus Mr. Shyamalan is on my kiss list anyways.

If your life was described as a music video what would it be like: An 80’s synth video like Journey’s “Separate Ways” video – with flashes to me in a wooden glen just punch dancing or something.

Fast Facts

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Musician: John Frusciante

Dream Job: Niall Horan’s spot in One – D probably

Celeb Crush: John Rhys-Davies (Gimli)

Favorite Holiday: National Dog Day

Best Food: Anything really spicy. A good burrito does it for me on most days.

Book: Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis!

Movie: Lord of the Rings

Costume: A cat. It’s just such an original costume, I’m surprised & in love every time I see one!

Alcoholic Drink: Kombucha

Shiina LoSciuto is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa studying journalism and communications. She someday hopes to be a TV talk show host, as well as become BFFs with Taylor Swift. In her free time she is taking naps or obsessing over the show Scandal.