6 Must Watch Summer Blockbusters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

With summer break coming up in a few short weeks, many are starting to plan what they want to do with their free time. From vacationing in different areas around the world to finally catching up on sleep, the options are endless. Although many could never get bored of adventure, you have to admit there are just some days you want to take it easy. Maybe you want to catch up with an old friend, or just need something to entertain yourself during those inevitable boring days of summer. Well never fear, the Blockbusters are here! This summer, there will be multiple movie options that will be delighting those from superhero fans to Disney lovers alike.    

Avengers: Infinity War (No Spoilers)

Although this movie has already been released, it was one of the most, if not the most, anticipated movies to come out this year. Marvel fans have been waiting for this movie for close to a decade, and now it’s ~finally~ here! I highly suggest that if you have not stayed up to date with recent Marvel movies, that you take a weekend to get caught up before watching this movie. Like I stated above, I will not talk about any spoilers in this, but I will say that it was an awesome movie and definitely worth the wait. I was not disappointed in the slightest and already plan on watching it for a second time later this week. All I can say after watching it is, “is it 2019 yet?!?”

Deadpool 2 (May 18th)

After leaving an unforgettable mark on box offices across the country in 2016, Ryan Reynolds is returning to the big screen as Deadpool in Deadpool 2 on May 18th. If superhero movies are not really your thing, then this may not be the movie for you either. The reason why I say “may” is due to the nature of the movie itself. Deadpool is unlike the many characters seen in the Marvel Avengers movies. Deadpool contains action like the others, but also incorporates mass amounts of humor into the movie, which keeps even the most anti-superhero movie goer’s attention. If you are in need of a good laugh, then I recommend watching this movie, and you might as well get caught up with all the laughs by watching the first one beforehand.     

Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25th)

If you are not a Marvel fan what-so-ever then maybe you are a Star Wars fan instead? Disney will continue its release of one Star Wars movie each year, but this time it is in the summer and not at the end of the year like the others. From what I know of, this movie does not require you to have seen the past Star Wars films as it is an origin based movie. The focus is on Han Solo and his early life, which has never before been depicted on the big screen. I can imagine it will answer many questions for diehard fans as well as satisfy their appetite for another year before the release of the next one, which will be a continuation from Star Wars: The Last Jedi. So, on Memorial Day weekend, suit up and space travel to your closest movie theater to witness the beginning of one of the most memorable characters from Star Wars.   

Incredibles 2 (June 15th)

Okay so maybe you are not a fan of Marvel’s superhero franchise, and that’s okay (I suppose). But the real question is, are you a fan of the animated Disney versions of superheroes instead, like Jack Jack or Mr. Incredible? If you are then you will be delighted to hear that, yes, the Incredibles are back after nearly a fourteen-year hiatus! The Incredibles will be returning to the big screen on June 15th for their second full-length film. From the looks of the trailers that have been released, the film will mostly focus on Elastigirl being the main superhero this time, while Mr. Incredible faces the biggest hurtle of his life: raising a family while mom is away. This is definitely a more family-friendly movie than the others stated above if you are looking for that type of film.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22nd)

Are superheroes not really your thing at all? Does science fiction not capture your interest in regard to space? Then maybe dinosaurs will do the trick instead! On June 22nd, the second installment in the Jurassic World series will be stampeding to a theater near you. Chris Pratt will be returning to the big screen for a second time this summer, not as Peter Quill, but as Owen for the film that appears more dramatic than the last. From the looks of it, the movie seems to promise a good time for the viewer. Whether you love dinosaurs, action, drama, Chris Pratt or complicated romance stories, this could be the summer blockbuster for you.

Ant-Man and The Wasp (July 6th)

This summer sure seems to be “The Summer of the Superhero” with all the Marvel based franchise movies being released one after the other. On July 6th Paul Rudd will be returning to reprise his role as Ant-Man, who hasn’t appeared on the big screen since 2016, and he is bringing a friend along for the ride. The movie is set between Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War, so if you really need a reason to re-watch the action-packed Captain America: Civil War movie again (besides to drool over Chris Evans some more!!), here it is. Plus, with this movie being released in July, it will be the perfect way to try and stay cool during the warm summer months. Be careful to not shrink down to his level, or you may just miss this summer blockbuster!

As of this weekend, Avengers: Infinity War has broken a new record at the box office. With it only being opening weekend at the time of writing this, Avengers: Infinity War has brought in over $258 million dollars domestically and over $640 million dollars worldwide in just ~three~ days. Many questioned if this movie would beat the previous record holder, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which brought in around $248 million dollars its opening weekend and in the words of the Hulk, the Avengers have SMASHED it. As a show of good sportsmanship, Lucasfilm, the production company behind the Star Wars series, posted a congratulatory message on Twitter acknowledging that their record has been beat and is passing on the baton (or lightsaber) to Marvel…for now.

From superheroes of all types, to dinosaurs and space travel, this summer has already proven that it will be the holder of some of the most popular movies to date. Whether you love going to the movies or need a family-friendly idea, consider heading to the movies this summer. I sincerely doubt you’ll regret the decision if you see one of the movies mentioned above or any of the other blockbusters that were not mentioned here. Happy movie watching, collegietes!

Kayla Shaffstall is currently a Senior at the University Hawaii at Manoa majoring in Sociology, with a focus in Criminology and a minor in English. She plans on furthering her education by attending graduate school to obtain a Master's Degree in Sociology. When she is not writing you can find her soaking up some sun, hiking or drinking coffee at a local coffee shop. She is originally from Southern California.  
Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!