Zucchini “Pasta”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Are you tired or making stir-fry, mac & cheese, or pizza every night? Although many of us live in HCA, it seems as if the Ford’s are in a rut for delicious and healthy dinner options. So, we have decided to give you a quick and very easy recipe to try out this weekend! The best part is that it is a great healthy dish for summer, and I have a feeling you will deffinitely add this to your weekly routine. 

Zucchini “Pasta”
(Serves about 2/3 people)                                                         

Ingredients: 
3 large zucchinis (green or yellow)
Pesto, as desired 
1 onion
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil (or Pam spray)
Grated parmesan cheese, for serving 
Salt and pepper 

1. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini (including the skin) away from you in length-wise ribbons. Peel until 
you reach the zucchini seeds.  

2. Cut the onion into rings (horizontally). Boil about a 1/2 inch of water. When boiling, put the onions into the water and put a lid on the pot. As they steam they will being to seperate and soften. 

3. While the onions are steaming, heat a tbs of olive oil (or use Pam spray) in a pan. You are going to cook the zucchinin ribbons in a few batches for about 3/4 minutes each. Do not put too much zucchini in at once or it will not cook evenly. When the pan is hot add a good handful of the zucchini (with salt and pepper) and cook by turning over the ribbons until they are softened and almost translucent. Put the zucchini that is done into a serving dish. Repeat until all of it is cooked, and do not forget to add a little more olive oil with every batch. 

4. Take the onions off of the stove when they are soft and the rings come apart easily. Cut into each ring once so that they also become ‘ribbons’ and add the onions to the zucchini. 

5. Add a few tbs of pesto (as desired) and the grated parmesan cheese to the zucchini/onion “pasta”.

6. Serve warm and enjoy! 

*You can also add chicken to this recipe by cutting a chicken breast into cubes and cooking with some salt, pepper, and lemon until it is golden brown and fully cooked through. 

Sources:
Photo taken from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/health/22recipehealth.html

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.