PSA: Stop Talking in the Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Hello, my dears friends at Haverford. I have once again just stormed out of the library, away from my cozy spot on the couch and my pile of books and research in my carrel to scream into the void about the forces of the universe that continuously obstruct my every endeavor.

I have stormed out of the library due to a combination of circumstances. First of all, my carrel is located in the basement of the library. My carrel is, in fact, directly across from the door that opens from the staircase into the basement. Right next to that door there are couches and a table. Evidently, many students have interpreted this combination of couches, open space, and a table as a space where talking is acceptable. Though I understand why one might misinterpret this space in such a way, I am here to clear things up: the basement, like every other part of the library not otherwise designated as a collaborative space (e.g. study rooms) is meant to be silent, or at the very least quiet.

This is because some people can only study in complete silence. Others can study with all the background noise in the world, but some can’t. Different people require different situations and circumstances to be able to focus. This is not exactly a groundbreaking notion, and I’m sure most of you are aware of this at some level.

Almost every single day, a new group of people enters the basement of the library and proceeds to use it as if it were a collaborative space. I’m sure they have no malicious intent, but I hope that after reading this they will realize that they are causing a lot of anxiety, frustration, and difficulties for individuals whose carrels are located in the basement. Sound travels very well through the stacks, and I can hear all of your conversations.

Please, I beg of you, students of Haverford, patrons of Magill Library—stop talking in the basement of the library. 

Chelsea is a sophomore at Haverford College, who enjoys philosophizing, politicizing, satirizing, and socializing in her free time. Princeton, New Jersey is her hometown, where she is an avid critic of Chris Christie and everything he does. She is a Co-Head of Haverford's Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA) and a Peer Awareness Facilitator (PAF) for HC's freshman orientation program, Customs. She also works as an Office Assistant for Haverford's John B. Hurford '60 Center for the Arts and Humanities. She is involved in social justice and political activism, having worked with organizations such as Wolf-PAC, Equality Pennsylvania, and CASA. This summer, she worked as a Mental Health Technician at a psychiatric hospital, further strengthening her passion for mental health advocacy.