For Most, Apathy-Not Love- Is in the Air for This Valentine’s Day at Haverford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Valentine’s Day may only be a few days away, but don’t be surprised if the vast majority of people treat it like it’s just another day at the ‘Ford.

In fact, when asked what he thought about the upcoming holiday, Alex Vargo ’12 replied, “Is that this weekend?”

Actually, Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, but don’t let that fool you into thinking nothing is going on.  The BSL is marking the occasion by selling roses for $2 in the DC as well as the campus center.

So why aren’t more Haverfordians feeling the love?

According to Emma Marsden ’13, Valentine’s Day just isn’t that big of a deal.

“In general, I don’t think Haverford buys into the commodification that Valentine’s Day tends to generate,” she said.  “I think a lot of Haverford students use Valentine’s Day as a day to give their friends candy and do some of the cutesy stuff, but I don’t sense that there is a lot of romance surrounding Valentine’s Day at Haverford.”

Not surprisingly, perhaps, another reason for Haverfordian’s general lack of interest might be ideology.

“I feel like most Haverford students would say they were against celebrating Valentine’s Day because that would mean buying into the consumer culture created by Corporate America,” said Josh Carter ’14, “or something like that.”

Most single Haverfordians polled, it seems, don’t have any plans.  Those students that do tend to be in committed relationships.

“I’m getting dressed up and going out for dinner,” said Stephen Handlon ’13, enthusiastically.  His boyfriend lives in University City, Philadelphia

Mike Levine ’14 was quick to offer his own interpretation of the role Valentine’s Day plays at Haverford.

“Valentine’s Day is the one time for weird Haverfordians to feel normal in their relationships,” he alleged, “even though everyone is so damn weird.”

Simone Bradley ’14 agreed.

“People at Haverford have zero social skills.  Of course they’re not going to celebrate Valentine’s Day.”

No matter what your relationship status, be sure to show those you care about a little Haverlovin’ this Valentine’s Day.  It seems like we could all use it.

Lauren Gill is in her junior year at Haverford College, majoring in Religion with a concentration in Peace, Justice, and Human Rights. She is from Lewes, Delaware and spent her fall semester abroad in Australia at the University of Melbourne. Lauren is a regular contributor to her college's newspaper, the Bi-College news, writing music and concert reviews. Besides her love for all things music, she also enjoys traveling, reality television, getting her fitness on, and of course, tweeting.