This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Whether you are celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or a friend’s birthday, gift-giving is a tradition during these chilly winter months. Here are some ideas that are simple, easy, and hopefully make great gift ideas:

1. Candles

Candles are a wonderful way to spice up a loved one’s life with a lovely aroma. Whether you hit up the store for one or DIY, candles make great gifts for anyone and everyone. Buzzfeed, http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/burn-baby-burn#.wdxo8GoG, has some ideas for those who want to try the craft of candle-making themselves. I like mason jar candles for not only are they adorable, but you can re-use the jar once the candle is done burning. Enjoy your sweet-smelling aromas friends.

2. Spa in a Jar 

Even though this is meant as a Valentine’s Day gift, honestly I think a spa-in-a-jar is a wonderful gift year round, especially since some R&R is needed after finals. Here is the link for this crafty idea: http://www.thegunnysack.com/spa-in-jar-diy-valentines-day-gift-in/

3. Baked Goods

Whether homemade Santa cookies or a decant chocolate cake, baked goods are usually a winner for most people. Have some friends over, play some holiday tunes, and dance along to “Jingle Bells” as you roll out cookies of stockings, reindeer, and Santa Claus. For some holiday-themed ideas, visit Country Living: http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g1036/easy-christmas-desserts/

4. Notes in a Jar

This idea is probably the simplest, yet most powerful gift of all. Take a jar, and fill it with little notes of encouragement, love, and complements. Give this jar to a loved one, so everyday the person can pick out a read an inspiring note from you to start his or her day off with a smile!

5. Gift Cards

Although not DIY, gift cards make great gifts for people who you don’t know exactly what he or she wants. A gift card allows the individual to choose his or her favorite, without having to feel guilty about not liking a gift someone gives him or her. Gift cards to stores, such as Amazon or an American Express, allow for even more flexibility for choice for the individual.  

6. Time Well Spent

One of the best presents to both give and receive is time with a loved one. Whether a movie date, homemade dinner, or going for a walk together, spending time with a loved one is a great way to show how much you care. Plan the date and time, book it in your calendar, and hype up to the event so you and your loved one enjoy each other’s company to the maximum. 

7. Gifts that Give Back

For some holiday ideas that give back, companies exist, such as TOMS and Serengetee, which give back to communities and individuals when you buy a product. Giving back as you buy is a wonderful way to feel extra good about your purchases. Feel free to ask me about either of these companies or others that give back to double the gift-giving and love you spread. 

Happy Holidays! 

Meg is a student at Haverford College and plays field hockey for the college. She is an interested writer.