Gabriel Stark: Haverford’s own hip-hop star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Gabriel Stark (better known to the Haverford community as Howard Brown) has been creating quite the buzz in the music community over the past year.  He was recently featured on MTV2’s “Sucker Free” on New Year’s Day and his latest album, Starky F. Kennedy was sponsored by the popular music site, Earmilk. With all of these accomplishments and a tour in the works, Stark is sure to make a name for himself in 2012. 

Name: Gabriel Stark (Howard Brown)
Year: Senior
Major: Religion
Hometown: Bronx, New York

What has been your biggest accomplishment thus far?
I’ve done a lot in a little under a year but I think my biggest accomplishment was being featured on MTV2’s Sucker Free.  I had the opportunity to do a freestyle for them that aired on New Year’s Day.  It was an amazing experience seeing myself on tv.

How has Haverford played a role in your music?
Haverford has played a role in my music for two main reasons.  First, they’ve provided the studio that I’ve been able to make a living out of.  If it were not for the studio access, I probably wouldn’t be where I am.  Second, the community has been very supportive in my growth.  From my first project to coming to my shows, everybody has been onboard with my career choice.

What can we expect from you in future?
Greatness.  I work very hard.  I rarely ever sleep.  I’ve been doing music along with being in school since I’ve started but as I near graduation, I’ll be able to solely focus on music.  I’m excited to see where my music takes me creatively and physically.  You can definitely see more shows, features, and videos from me in the near future.

If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be?
Hands down, I would love to collaborate with Kanye.  He’s the reason why I started producing and he’s continued to be a powerhouse in the music industry.  He competes against himself and constantly pushes music farther.  I love the way he’s able to make his creativity mainstream.

If you could choose a theme song for your time at Haverford, what would it be?
I’d choose Frank Ocean’s Strawberry Swing.  It’s a pretty nostalgic song but the main part that sticks out to me is where he repeats, “I’ve loved the good times here”.  College is hard.  It’s a challenge for everybody but over the four years, I’ve had a lot of tough times and a lot more great times and those great times are what I’m going to remember.  Haverford is going to be a place I miss but will never forget.

What is one surprising fact about you?
A surprising fact about me is that I don’t curse in my music.  A lot of people don’t realize it but 99% of my music is clean.  

Lauren Gill is in her junior year at Haverford College, majoring in Religion with a concentration in Peace, Justice, and Human Rights. She is from Lewes, Delaware and spent her fall semester abroad in Australia at the University of Melbourne. Lauren is a regular contributor to her college's newspaper, the Bi-College news, writing music and concert reviews. Besides her love for all things music, she also enjoys traveling, reality television, getting her fitness on, and of course, tweeting.