This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

It is offically that time of year when you no longer sweat when you walk outside between classes with the temperature now in the mid-60s. The leaves begin to change color, and summer is over. Autumn is upon us! We have all been looking forward to this wonderful season of pumpkins, warm colors, and light jackets. Here are a few of the highlights of fall:

1. The leaves change color! 

From green to multiple hues of reds, oranges, yellows, and browns, the trees changing colors is certainly one of autumn’s best features. Who doesn’t love seeing the colors change overnight? Not to mention, the crunch-crunch-crunch sound when you step on the leaves!

2. Autumn Attire

A new season brings on a whole new wardrobe of possibilites. A new color palette is introduced as well with emphasis on shades of maroon, brown, dark orange, mustard yellow, and olive green. It is the season to pull out the boots, scarves, light jackets, and colored pants. 

3. Pumpkins

Pumpkins are definitely a highlight of fall. From pumpkin pie to pumpkin muffins, pumpkins can add delicious flavoring to almost any recipe. In addition, they make great decorations whether plain, painted, or carved. Pumpkin picking is a fun fall activity too. Make sure you keep an eye out for some of pumpkin’s relatives, the other gourds, which can also act as great decorations or spice up a recipe.

4. Apple Picking

Another awesome outing for autumn weekends is going to a local apple orchard and apple picking. Similiar to pumpkins, apples can add great nutritional value and flavor to almost any recipe. They are wonderful raw or cooked. In addition, apple picking helps you enjoy the crisp fall weather and hopefully some yummy apple cider too!

5. Hay Rides

As long as you aren’t allergic to hay, hay rides in a wagon through a farm or orchard is another wonderful fall tradition. Grab some friends, and sit back and relax. Enjoy the beauitful scenary, and enjoy the outdoors while the temperature is still above freezing!

6. Haunted Houses

In the spirit of Halloween, touring through a haunted house is a fall activity you simply can’t pass up on. Whether you are walking through yourself or running one, haunted houses provide a great place for laughs and to get your mind off of school. An idea to fundraise is to run a haunted house, and charge each individual a few dollars to walk through. Whether you are the one running the house or running away from the ghost that jumped out at you, always remember to enjoy yourself this fall season.

7. Halloween

Halloween is on a Saturday this year, so celebrate extra this year. Try doing a group costume with some friends, or going trick-or-treating in a local neighborhood just for the sake of childhood memories. Enjoy the candy and costumes, and stay safe as always! 

8. Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is this year is on Thursday, November 26th. Along with the delicious traditional food and football, spread the love by sharing your gratitude to your loved ones, peers, and even people you don’t know very well. For example, invite a foreign student home with you for Thanksgiving so they aren’t left alone or spend some time serving food at a homeless shelter to show how blessed we are and yet we so often forget it. 

I hope you have an amazing autumn! 

Meg is a student at Haverford College and plays field hockey for the college. She is an interested writer.