Study Playlists For All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

[I’m not saying this is sponsored by Spotify, but it might as well be]

The Hardcore, Back-At-It, Let’s-Get-Down-To-Business, Heavy Book Hitter:

Spotify study playlist: Deep Focus

This playlist is magic for two things: ultimate studying and falling asleep. Obviously, the outcome of tuning into this one is dependent upon the type of person you are. Beware: if you aren’t the type of person wracked with early-(in the semester)-onset-anxiety about your GPA and the midterms or finals of the future, then expect a nice snooze fest in that cute little Lamont cubby you picked out.

This playlist is filled with calming melodies and gentle sounds that silence your own thoughts, but won’t distract you from your work. That’s right, folks, you can listen to music and still absorb the wise words of that dead author of your supremely dry class reading you’re trying to power through.

Carry on, Section Kid, I aspire to be you. But like, not really.

The In-Denial-Day-Dreamer:

Spotify study playlist: Hawaiian Dreams

Hi dear friend, I’m sorry to be the one to break this to you, but…. summer is over. Cue the shock and awe and that dramatic single tear running down your cheek. The sun is here still, but not for long. Don’t fret though, because I have found you a transition companion for the seasons to come.

This playlist offers joyful summer sounds of delight that you can listen to while you slowly begin to sacrifice what’s left of the sunny days here at Harvard for the library.

The Ivy-League-Level Party Animal:

Spotify study playlist: Electronic Concentration

We get it, we get it, you totally raged this summer. Music festivals are like, your life You follow some sick DJs on Instagram and you’re emotionally attached to that one beat drop in that one song because the first time you heard it, it was just so freaking monumental you just get a high every time it comes on.

That’s cool and all. But now you’re back at school with the rest of us, and the rad music you live and breathe for is just absolutely too distracting for you during study hours. Here’s a nice solution to your issue. Same style but on a softer level. Totally study appropriate.

The High-Tops-and-Coffee-Shops-Kinda-Studier

Spotify study playlist: Indie Rock Focus

I am one of you. Coffee shops are my study space. There’s just something about the combination of freshly ground coffee, a potentially homeless person to your left, a definite hipster to your right, and some chill beats playing in your headphones. Terrifically conducive atmosphere for productivity, if you ask me.

There are no words on this playlist, but the vibe is incredible. You’ll feel like you’re in a movie at some point, I swear. The sun will shine through the windows onto your laptop screen, obstructing your view, forcing you to look up for the first time in what feels like forever. Just as that happens, the music will subtly build and you’ll think: This is right. This is exactly right. Look at me.

Aaaaand then you’ll realize you need a refill of your black coffee. You’ll hop on over back to the line in your sick high top vans with your wacky socks sticking out of the top– that of course, match the stickers on your laptop.

You totally have your life together.

harvard contributor