Study Abroad Style: Do’s and Don’ts for a Summer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

I leave for Italy in a week. Six days actually. In six days, I will move out of Mather, move back to the Boston suburbs, spend time with my family, and get on a plane to spend the next two and half months in a country where I don’t speak the language. To keep myself from curling up into a fetal position and sobbing at the mountain of stuff to do before then, I’ve been doing what I always do: make lists. I’ve spent summers abroad, either with my family in Munich or at summer school, for most of my life. Over the years, I’ve accumulated some do’s and don’t’s that’ll make packing for a summer spent abroad that much easier and let you focus on the fun stuff!

Do pack light. Look at the weather of the place you’ll be staying and leave those spike heels that’ll just get caught in the cobblestones at home, no matter how gorgeous they are. When I went to Paris, I got a luggage upgrade and was able to take 5 pieces of luggage. I brought all five of those pieces, struggled immensely with getting to and from the airport, didn’t wear half the clothes I brought, and regretted it all summer.

Don’t dress like an American. That doesn’t mean you should abandon your original style, but be mindful of the fact that a lot of sights worth seeing in most cities require covered shoulders and/or longer hemlines. Don’t miss an opportunity to see the Vatican because you forgot to throw a light shawl in your suitcase. Also, skip the jorts and the branded clothing – you won’t see any of that where you’re going and you’ll get more respect if you follow suit.

Do know which toiletries to bring and which to buy there. Sunscreen, contact lens fluid, and Neosporin are all things that are really difficult to find abroad, and when you do find them they are way more expensive than in the States. On the other hand, shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer are easy to find in Europe and its not worth the extra weight to shlep them over. And that way you get to try all sorts of new fun brands (not going to lie… that’s one of my favorite things about traveling)!

Don’t forget layers. The weather in most European countries varies by the hour, and lack of air-conditioning and cold museums mean that you might be sweating one minute and dying for a sweater the next. The easiest thing to do is pack a lot of mix-and-match basics that you can transition throughout the day.

Last but not least, DO have an absolutely amazing time! Take lots of pictures, disconnect from the Facebook and texting for days on end, and breathe in the atmosphere of a completely different world. Come back to school in the fall with a tan, beautiful photos, amazing stories, and a clean slate.

Zoë is a senior at Harvard studying English, French, and Classics. She is an active member of the theatre community as one of the few specialized stage makeup designers and artists on campus. When not in the dressing rooms and at the makeup tables of the various stages available at Harvard, she is reading anything she can get her hands on, drinking endless cups of tea, and exploring new restaurants in the Boston area.