Six Study Spots You Should Check Out This Finals Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

As reading period comes to a close, it’s time to (actually) hunker down for those pesky final exams. And we all know by now just how important it is to score a prime study spot to keep you motivated and comfortable through those long hours bonding with your textbooks, readings, and old problem sets. HC has you covered with five awesome study nooks to check out this finals week!

1. Gutman Library. The Ed School library is on Appian Way, right near Radcliffe Yard. If the free coffee isn’t enough of a draw, we guarantee that the plush purple chairs will be! With wall-to-ceiling windows and a varied setup of table workstations and standalone chairs, Gutman has the perfect mix of a public and private study hub. Homey, spacious, and with a significantly lower undergrad population than most spaces on campus (creates: you’re less likely to be distracted by running into friends, acquaintances, or that person you once took a class with who you suddenly feel compelled to strike up a conversation with to avoid doing work), you’ll definitely find us in Gutman this week!

2. Boylston Hall. Bolyston offers both a solid location for your studying–within easy walking distance of both Lamont and Widener for those books you didn’t realize you needed, Annenberg for the occasional meal, and the freshman dorms and river houses for anything you’ve forgotten or the times you need a break–and two cozy options in Ticknor Lounge and the Mezzanine level. Ticknor, with its glass windows, comfy couches, and soothing lighting, is a great atmosphere for group work. Expect a similar effect from its counterpart in the Mezzanine, which is a bit darker but every bit as cozy–and without the distraction from the windows.

3. The COOP. Often underappreciated by Harvard students, the COOP Bookstore has limited (but lovely) study nooks for those of you who seek the white noise of chatter as a study soundtrack. Two-seater tables are poised opposite the bookshelves on the second floor for quiet reading and study, as are small tables and window seats on the third level, and the second floor also offers the cafè, serving Starbucks coffee and beverages as well as food and dessert items, perfect for recharging or claiming a table and getting to work.

4. The Bureau of Study Counsel. You’re in luck — the BSC is extending its hard-to-pass-up offer of free coffee, cider, and cookies and a quiet, relaxed environment from reading period into finals week. Located at 5 Linden Street, designated study spaces will be open tomorrow, Friday, December 14 from 1:30pm to 5pm; Monday, December 17 from 9am to 2:30pm; and Tuesday, December 18 and Wednesday December 19 from 9am to 5pm. Enter through the side door and follow the signs to find the reserved rooms!

5. Darwin’s Ltd. Cozy comfort, yummy food, and coffee refills for only a dollar–what more could we ask of a finals study spot? Darwin’s offers two great locations: one on Cambridge Street (back behind CGIS near Cambridge Rindge & Latin School) and our personal favorite on Mount Auburn Street, and both are far enough away that you won’t be tempted to go back to your room and sleep! Inside you will find both single chairs and tables, depending on what you’re working on, but you should definitely stake out your spot early in the day if you plan to be there for a while.

6. The Language Resource Center. We feel you. Overcrowded Lamont is probably the least attractive study spot for a lot of Harvard students during finals period, but the LRC on the sixth floor is definitely an overlooked gem. Roomy, comfortable, and relaxed (and with breathable air!), it’s a surprise that it is almost never packed, even during finals. It’s not open twenty-four hours like Lamont, but when you see the desks with ample writing space and legroom and the couches tucked away in the back, you’ll understand why we love working there.

Best of luck on your exams from all of us at HC, and be sure to drop us a line and let us know your favorite study spots around campus in the comments section!

Michelle is a senior at Harvard College hailing from Long Island, New York. She is pursuing a degree in Comparative Literature with a minor in English and special focus fields in sleep deprivation and procrastination. At any given moment, you are most likely to find her racking up points on her Starbucks Gold Card, writing by the Charles River, or stalking Boo's latest photo shoot. Michelle couldn't be more excited to be part of the Her Campus team and bring HC to life on Harvard's campus, and she would love to hear from you with any feedback!