Sh*tfaced Shakespeare in 7 Hashtags

My friend and I saw Sh*tfaced Shakespeare's rendition of Romeo and Juliet for the first time this week, and I have so many things to say about it. As Benvolio would say, "Borrow Cupid's wings, and soar with them above a common bound." Or as a drunk man playing Benvolio would say, "Let's go to the thing, maybe. Yeah, that."

1. #Same

Shakespeare plays transcend time and culture. They will still be relatable after you and are long dead. At the same time, Sh*tfaced Shakespeare is very much in the now. It speaks to the thoughts of a modern (drunk) actor, and it is pretty hard to replicate the thoughts of a drunk Shakespeare actor.

2. #Iconic

Shakespeare itself it super quotable, but when you mix in the modern language of drunk actors, you get gold.

3. #HotMess

The actors get sloppy drunk.

Like, really sloppy.

4. #FourthWall

Two lucky audience members get to tell our actor when to take another drink. That’s my kind of audience participation.

5. #Dirty

The innuendos are everywhere, from the phallic costumes to the added word play and "sex scenes." If Shakespeare likes sex jokes, Sh*tfaced Shakespeare loves them. 

6. #LoveIsLove

Sometimes the best way to modernize Shakespeare is to let Romeo hit on Tybalt and then they kiss a little bit and they end up together.

7. #Lit

There’s a bar in the lobby so that you can join the fun. Just don't get on stage (unless they ask you to) (which they might) (it has happened).

So grab yourself a cocktail, sit back, relax, and enjoy the one hour’s traffic of their stage. 

About The Author

Audrey is a Junior in Pforzheimer. She likes writing, adventure, Tatte, and doing things ironically it's no longer ironic. She's also Co-Campus Coordinator of the Her Campus Harvard branch.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login