This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

On a fateful day in November, an unsuspecting freshman made the bold decision to sit alone at one of the tables in Annenberg.  He was soon approached by an overeager freshman, a girl who flounced down the row of tables and had unfortunately interpreted the empty chairs that surrounded him as an invitation to sit and introduce herself (Author’s Note: It wasn’t.  She was just bad at picking up social cues.)  And thus began the usual, banal, uninspiring, yet completely necessary exchange – 

Name: Saad AmerDorm: Matthews  (AN: he would later be placed in Adams House)Concentration: Organismal and Evolutionary Biology (AN: it would take many existential crises and revelations for him to reach this conclusion)Hometown: Long Island, New York (AN: Which, as Saad has said many times before, “It’s like an island… but, like, long.”)

Upon which, the girl let out an excited squeal and the two subsequently fell into an easy, albeit strained, conversation about their shared hometown.  Then, upon realizing that Saad had made no connections with the other Harvardian Long Islanders, the flouncy, overeager, freshman female declared – 

“You’re good looking……but it stops there.”

Ouch.  Overeager flouncy girl has a bitchy side to her.

The conversation and any chance of forming a life-long friendship with this particular overeager freshman ended there too, but Saad Amer’s severe, suave, and sultry good looks (as validated by his standing as one of the Fifteen Hottest Freshmen: Class of 2016 edition) persevere to this day.  And, contrary to the belief of that overeager freshmen, it does not stop there:

What extracurriculars do you do on campus?I’m the co-president of Harvard’s Council on Business and the Environment, executive co-chair of Harvard’s Council of Student Sustainability Leaders, Ambassador to the Harvard Forest, and I also research at Harvard Office for Sustainability.  I’m on the design board and business board of Tuesday Magazine and I’m also starting my own design company (SaadAmerDesign.com).

So you’re artsy?AN: In response, he points me to his portfolio of various photoshoots he has done of friends, as well as the ridiculous props that he has accumulated for such occasions.  I’m a photographer.  I also designed this room (AN: It is an impressive room).  I want to make things beautiful, to show other people that the world contains beauty in every corner (AN: this is genuine, not corny.)  I also like to sing and cook.

You’re on American Idol – what song would you sing?Titanium.  Or Hallelujah.  AN: He demonstrates.  While the lyrics are empowering, his voice is not.  He should probably stick with photography and also should probably not try out for any singing competitions.

If I came to your house for dinner, what would you make me?Keema.  It’s the Pakistani version of minced meat and potatoes.  But maybe also this broccoli in soy sauce thing.  I made it in the kitchen in Adams last year, and it was delicious.  I also overestimated the amount of meat I should’ve bought, so I ended up eating leftovers for the next week.

Favorite food? Cucumbers.  (AN: Conversely, he maintains a list of sketchy foods that he refuses to ever eat.  This includes applesauce, jello, pudding, and pickled vegetables.)

Why do you have a list of sketchy foods? It’s just (poignant, thoughtful pause) certain foods make you quiver when you look at them, so I just don’t eat them.  That’s a commitment I just can’t let go of.

Favorite color? Blue. 

Favorite country?Japan. 

Favorite animal? Squirrel! 

What do you like most about yourself? My hair.  There’s a certain point where it has just the right amount of oil that it does what you want it to do without looking disgusting.  (AN: He objectively does have good hair.)  I don’t like to get haircuts because my aunt usually does them – and no one can compare to her.

What’s your life philosophy?It’s best described by my favorite quote by my favorite artist:“Just enjoy the art of life.” – Utada.

And enjoy it he does.

harvard contributor