An Open Letter to My Long-Distance Boyfriend on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Hi there, darling.

I know it’s about 4:30 in the morning for you, but I woke up for class and just had to call you right away. Well, I guess I should just start by telling you Happy Valentine’s Day! We’ve already made this holiday one to remember. The mix-up of presents was amusingly representative of a first Valentine’s Day apart—me accidentally opening up your adorable stuffed animal about a month before the 14th, and you asking me to ship you an EXTRA-LARGE Anaheim Ducks jersey instead of a medium. (I knew you weren’t that buff babe, why’d you have to overexaggerate?!) Kidding.

[The newest addition to my menagerie of stuffed animals, Slimy the Snail]

But we’ve definitely made the best of it these past few weeks. I’ve sent oodles of cards, from a sophisticated and mature Hallmark declaration of love to a sparkly, elementary-school-style valentine (over-)decorated with foam stickers and multi-colored heart stamps. You shocked me with the most beautiful bouquet of roses on the day of my first real snowstorm in Cambridge. The stark, bleak whiteness of the world was brightened by the reds, yellows, and pinks of the freshly blooming flowers. They are absolutely exquisite. And I can’t believe you were able to SURPRISE me! That’s the first time pretty much ever in our year-long relationship. Good job, babe.

[My absolutely stunning roses!]

I don’t know, I haven’t been able to figure out yet how hard today will be. I mean, I miss you, but it’s just as much as I missed you yesterday and as much as I will miss you tomorrow. I think the best thing to do today is to be optimistic. I see it as a day to celebrate all the love we have already shared and our incredibly bright future. Most people say that being in love is just about spending time together. Unfortunately, some of us aren’t even lucky. We have to go even further than the simplicity of physical togetherness. Love to us is knowing that the time we have spent together and the love that we feel can and will span the miles and the time zones and the loneliness we feel every now and again. I trust you and I believe in us. And that’s what today is about.

So, while we might not be together on Valentine’s Day, you’ll be in my thoughts every moment, just as you always are. Who needs a fancy dinner out anyways when Season 2 of House of Cards just came out on Netflix? 

Oh, I just got to class. Alright honey, I will talk to you when you wake up. Maybe we can Skype later too! I miss that cute face of yours. Okay, I love you so much. I miss you. And Happy Valentine’s Day. I’ll talk to you soon. Buh-bye!

*click*

--