Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Harvard Features

An Open Letter to Taylor Swift

By Aubrey Stoddard
October 26, 2014 - 10:00pm

My dearest Taylor, I still remember the first song by you that I ever bought off of iTunes and downloaded onto my iPod Nano. It was “Place in This World,” and I danced around my room to your light-hearted, poppy crooning almost every day in seventh grade. “FINALLY,” I thought to myself, “Someone understands exactly how I feel!” READ MORE

7 Reasons for a California Girl to be Excited for New England Autumn

By Aubrey Stoddard
October 24, 2014 - 9:00am

Finally, my favorite season of the year—FALL. Honestly, however, “fall” has a very different meaning up here in Boston than it did in Southern California. Here are a few reasons I am EXTREMELY excited for autumn in New England. 1.       LEAVES. LEAVESSS. I LOVE LEAVES. READ MORE

Everything You Have to Do in the Fall

By Gianna Cacciatore
October 20, 2014 - 1:05am

1.     Furiously Drink Your Last Iced Coffees   Right now, something is a little jenky with the weather, and it’s been more summer out than fall. ENJOY THIS MADNESS PEOPLE. Before you switch over to the weakness of the burn-your-mouth pumpkin spice whatever, or the even more expensive chocolate-y drinks that are soon to follow, remember to enjoy your last few relatively cheap and amazingly refreshing iced coffees. Just plain and simple iced coffee. Because before you know it, it’s going to be so cold that everything will be iced, except your coffee.   PS- It’s the perfect temperature for iced coffee right now also because it’s too cold for the ice to melt but too warm to not want it iced.   READ MORE...

Harvard Square Restaurants for Every Occasion

By Aubrey Stoddard
October 13, 2014 - 9:00am

A girl can only handle HUDS’s tikki masala chicken and the salvation of the Grill’s grilled cheese for so long before she craves something—ANYTHING—different. Sometimes, a weekend of delicious, non-mass produced food is absolutely necessary. Below is a guide to a flawless weekend spent at the best restaurants in the Square for every occasion. It’s Friday and you have had one of the busiest weeks of your life. Celebrate the end of the week with a yummy lunch at Yenching. Yenching on Massachusetts Avenue has incredibly authentic and delicious Chinese food with just the right amount of kick. Plus, there’s a lunch special that comes with soup, egg rolls, rice, and three entrees for only $7.50!!! YUM!...

Black Out

By Anonymous Collegiette
October 9, 2014 - 1:57pm

Blacking out is not fun. It’s actually quite possibly the scariest thing that’s ever happened to me. Everyone makes it seem like blacking out – drinking so much that you remember nothing the next morning– is a quintessential part of the college experience. Blackout stories are almost bragged about with a perverted sort of pride, as if the experience raises you from nube-ishness to an elite club of cool, hard-partying college veterans. But it doesn’t. Blacking out isn’t cool, or necessary to say you’ve partied in college. It’s actually really scary. READ MORE

The Freshman Year Bucket List You Actually Need

By Catherine Bousquet
October 9, 2014 - 9:00am

I’ll say this upfront: I’m not about to tell you to go to office hours or take your flu shot or to get on your proctor’s good side. This bucket list will contain nothing particularly helpful, goal-advancing, or resume-building; rather, the items on this list are purely for fun, memory-making, and the fact that you can look back on your freshman year knowing you did them.   READ MORE

Sometimes You Walk in Circles: Adjusting to Living on your Own

By Samantha Lo
October 5, 2014 - 8:39am

Every time I leave home, I do it quickly.  Freshman year, I made a list of the things I needed to take with me.  Sophomore year, I quickly forgot about the clothes, the house, the people, and the memories that I would be leaving behind.  It’s been poeticized many times before: don’t think that what’s behind you is better than what’s in front because it’s not.  Your eyes face front for a reason. READ MORE

How Not To Be Basic

By Cecilia M. Eberhard
October 3, 2014 - 4:08pm

How Not to Be Basic:   There’s nothing necessarily wrong with being basic, at times it has its value.  When you’re trying to blend into the masses, are purposely seeking to be viewed as unoriginal, or are trying to embody the mindset of coloring within the lines please feel free to employ the following pillars of basicness.  If you however are in the market for a unique brand that is specific to who you are as a person then avoid the following 5 bases of being basic.   1)   Ordering a skinny vanilla latte at Satrbucks:   READ MORE

Harvard in the Movies: Truths, Lies, and Lessons

By Aubrey Stoddard
October 1, 2014 - 9:00am

I visited Stanford and UC Berkeley the summer before my senior year. I did overnight stays at Saint Mary’s College and UCLA to get a feel for the campuses. But, due to the tragic Boston Marathon bombing and ridiculous plane ticket prices, I did not visit Harvard ONCE before the weekend of move-in. I had never been to Boston. I didn’t know what Harvard’s campus looked like or felt like. I was completely clueless. READ MORE

Concentrate: How to Choose What to Study at Harvard

By Anna Papp
September 28, 2014 - 9:00am

48 options; 11 to 20 requirements. Your parents probably think your choice will make you either a billionaire or leave you living in their basement for the rest of your twenties. If you’re proud of yours, you may even decide to buy the $200+ diploma frame at the Coop to show off the fancy title of what other schools just call majors. Concentrations. Choosing a concentration is hard. There are so many friends, family members, professors, advisors to listen to and so many factors to consider. As an Engineering concentrator who switched concentration tracks, and was considering everything from History of Art and Architecture to Applied Math sophomore fall, here is my hopefully straightforward advice on our most important academic choice at Harvard....