Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Harvard News

When Women Lead: Insights and Experience from Women in Power

By Aubrey Stoddard
April 11, 2014 - 8:00pm

There is a wrought-iron gate that stands between the Canaday freshman dorms and the Science Center plaza. It is unassuming, without the pomp and myth of Johnston Gate or the humor of the Porcellian Club Gate. The gate—known as the Woman’s Entrance—is dedicated to the women attending Harvard in 1972, the first women to occupy Harvard Yard with men. READ MORE

4 Reasons to Never, Ever Watch Ivy

By Aubrey Stoddard
April 8, 2014 - 7:00pm

Ivy is a student-produced dramatic web series that aired its first episode on March 9th. I watched devoured all twenty-two minutes and eighteen seconds of that first installment, and I have one piece of advice for you: whatever you do, NEVER, EVER, EVER watch this series. Ever. You don’t trust my word? Okay, fine. I’ll give you four reasons to unfollow the Ivy page on Facebook, to exit out of the YouTube link, and to forget this show ever existed. 1. Hysterical and all-too-relatable scenes READ MORE

This Weekend: Harvard Relay for Life

By Catherine Bousquet
April 1, 2014 - 2:30pm

What’s better than spending time with your friends and favorite extracurricular groups (such as sororities, Harvard Radcliffe Dramatic Club, and Women In Science Harvard Radcliffe) on a Saturday evening? Doing so while fighting cancer, perhaps? This Saturday, join Harvard Relay for Life at Gordon Indoor Track in “Harvard’s largest sleepover--uniting the community in the fight against cancer”. READ MORE

12 Reasons Dubai Should Be Your Next Vacation Destination

By Marwa Harp
March 26, 2014 - 1:00pm

With less than a week separating us from April, seeing snow in the forecast is definitely a bummer. It’s especially hard to accept Cambridge’s weather after indulging in the hot sun of Dubai, UAE for the past week. Although reflecting on my amazing week abroad will not make the temperature rise, my memories, photographs, and sunburns are still reminders of the warmth that can be generated in even the coldest of places. READ MORE

Give Yourself a (Spring) Break

By Gianna Cacciatore
March 13, 2014 - 9:00am

Apparently, summer is just around the corner. But it’s not. They’re lying to us. Because ahead, we face an interminable number of long cold days and late nights. The weather might be getting a little warmer, but it’s not warm enough. Our workloads may lighten after midterms, but we are not yet free. That sickening time of the year where Harvard suspends us between midterms and summer has come. The future is close, but the present is endless. Winter, after receding just enough to let us know that a world exists where knee-length jackets aren’t standard, is refusing to fully relent. READ MORE

5 Ways to Stay Happy and Healthy During Midterm Season

By Chloe Volkwein
March 10, 2014 - 9:00am

Midterm season got you down?  Feeling like winter’s never going to end?  Don't fret!  Here are some ways to stay positive and healthy during these next few weeks. 1. Sleep!  As much as possible. 2. Go outside!  Go for a walk or run and get some fresh air.  It will energize you, and it's a healthy way to take a study break when you need one.   3. Tea.  In addition to keeping you warm, tea has tons of health benefits and it's yummy!  And the caffeine will keep you awake and focused. READ MORE

The Problem with Incentivizing Kindness

By Aubrey Stoddard
March 5, 2014 - 9:00am

Back in 2005, when I was in fifth grade, I was the treasurer of my elementary school’s student council. Also in 2005: the devastating Hurricane Katrina that destroyed homes and lives in the American South. My school was planning a fundraiser of sorts to provide aid for those affected by the storm, and as the almighty treasurer, I was in charge—with the guidance and help of teachers and the principal, of course. READ MORE

This is What a Feminist Looks Like

By Talia Weisberg
March 4, 2014 - 9:28pm

What’s Feminist Coming Out Day? Feminist Coming Out Day (FCOD) is an international movement encouraging women and men to “come out” as feminists.   So this has nothing to do with me, since I’m not a feminist. I find that very hard to believe. To be honest, I’ve never met someone who’s not a feminist.   No, seriously. I’m not a feminist. You know what the dictionary definition of feminism is? Copied from Merriam-Webster: The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes READ MORE

Now Playing on Netflix: 6 Shows You Need to Watch

By Sylvie Rubin-Budick
March 3, 2014 - 9:00am

Netflix is quite possibly the most beautiful invention of all time. Netflix has been with me through breakups, midterms, and snowstorms. All Netflix needs to work is functional WiFi. You never have to respond to Netflix’s texts, or arrange lunch dates. Your relationship with Netflix could be the best one in your life. With the temperature continuously dropping in Cambridge, I have spent the majority of time in my warm bed with my trusty laptop. If you haven’t already watched every TV series available on Netflix Watch Instantly, prepare for you life to change:   1.     House of Cards READ MORE

The 7 Types of Procrastination

By Catherine Bousquet
February 24, 2014 - 5:11pm

All of us have been some of these during our college career. Some of us have been all of them. True champs have been all of these in one night.   1. The Brain Breaker You’ve scoped out brain breaks at all of the upperclassman houses. In fact, you laugh at (and pity) your friends who don’t know that houses have longer brain break hours than Annenberg. You’re pushing the slang word “procrastineat” harder than Gretchen Wieners pushed “fetch”.   2. The Caffeinater READ MORE