Nathaniel Brooks Horwitz ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Class of 2018 Facebook Celebrity and sensual harpist, Nathaniel Brooks Horwitz, spared some time from his hectic schedule of croquet-playing on the Yard, saving whales, and sailing to speak with Her Campus (#IslandBoyProbz).

Name: Nathaniel Brooks Horwitz

Year: 2018                                       

House: Grays

Hometowns: Martha’s Vineyard and Sydney.

Possible Concentrations: Molecular Cellular Biology and Philosophy.

Relationship Status: Single.

Describe yourself in 3 words: Daring, easygoing, and happy.

Favorite HUDS meal: That one time there was red meat.

If you were an ice cream flavor, what would you be and why? Ben & Jerry’s “Midnight Snack,” because I’m best in the middle of the night.

What are you involved in on campus? The Crimson, Lacrosse and the Biotech Association. And I’m going to start the Poker Club.

What have been your favorite Harvard memories thus far? Jumping off John Weeks Bridge on Move-In Day. 

What do you look for in a significant other? Kindness.

What is your best physical trait? My smile.

What’s on your Harvard bucket list? Making lifelong friends, running the Boston Marathon, taking a semester off somewhere crazy, falling in love, temporarily stealing the John Harvard statue (is it riveted or cemented?). Graduating would be good too.

Favorite song: “Don’t Worry Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin.

Favorite movie: About Time.

Favorite quote: “Don’t take life too seriously, no one ever makes it out alive anyway.”

Surprising fact about you: I play the classical harp.

Most exciting moment of your life: Riding a wild horse along the cliffs of a fjord in the Faroe Islands during my time volunteering for Sea Shepherd’s Operation GrindStop.

Most embarrassing moment of your life: One summer I fixed a small sailboat. I didn’t do a very good job, because one day while I was sailing I broke the side and water started pouring in. The ferry to Martha’s Vineyard was passing by and 400 tourists on the deck watched me swimming away fully-dressed from my sinking boat.

What are you most proud of? At the end of two months teaching recorder and harp for a humanitarian aid organization in the Ethiopian highlands, the children played “Amazing Grace” for me.

Your quirkiest trait is: I can solve a Rubik’s Cube in 55 seconds.

At any given moment, you are most likely to be found where on campus? Reading in the Yard or conning my way into an event with good food. 

Aisha Bhoori, a freshman and prospective concentrator in Government and Philosophy, is interested in harnessing literary criticism and political theory to reform public policy. Her pieces have been featured in the Axis of Logic, Azizah: The Voice for Muslim Women, The Copperfield Review, Dog Eat Crow Magazine, Eunoia Review, the Middletown Patch, SuhaibWebb.com, Three Line Poetry, and United 4 Social Change. In addition to writing for Her Campus Harvard, Aisha is a contributor to the Harvard Political Review and Harvard's Journal for Public Interest as well as a member of multiple programs in the Institute of Politics. You can contact her via email at aishabhoori@college.harvard.edu.
harvard contributor