This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

When I say, “I spend almost all my time with the girls in my sorority” it is in no way an understatement. Even at this very moment, I’m with five other Alpha Phis, watching the Super Bowl. Joining a sorority was the single best decision I’ve made while at Harvard. In my mind there are three distinct reasons why every girl should at least think about joining a sorority: the support, the wealth of knowledge provided by the sisters, and the fun friendships that are established.

Being a freshman from a small town in the middle of nowhere, Texas can be a very scary thing. My entire freshman fall, I felt this weird feeling of displacement that persisted until I joined Alpha Phi.  There I found what I never would: a group of intelligent, fun, and loving girls. I expected sororities to be a cornucopia of catfights, secrets, and animosity. What I got was genuine friendships that I intend to keep for the rest of my life. My best memories at Harvard all involve my sorority in one way or another. From going out on the weekends, to nights in watching Moulin Rouge, to watching romantic comedies in our space, to watching wrestling matches on Sunday after Brunch in the MAC, I’ve had an Alpha Phi with me every step of the way.

I might never have met these amazing women if I hadn’t joined my sorority. They’re my best friends; I can count on them for advice, help in a difficult class, a shoulder to cry on, or someone to tear up the town with.  I’ve never laughed so much in my life, nor have I ever been this happy. Consider going through sorority recruitment at Harvard. You won’t regret it.

harvard contributor