The Lip Accent Lifestyle: Everything You’ve Ever Needed to Know About Pulling Off Bright Lipstick On a Daily Basis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

My very first tube real “grown-up” lipstick was Kate Spade’s Supercalifragilipstick! (which I bought more for the name than the shade, if we’re being totally honest here) and it came with a little card with the following bit of dialogue printed on it:

“How many shades of red lipstick do you need?” they asked. She said, “That question is complex and intriguing.”

It’s been the basis of my beauty philosophy ever since. Red lipstick is my battle armor; a swipe in the morning has helped bolster me through many a long and painful Monday. The first time I wore real, noticeable lipstick to class, last fall, I worried the whole day about it migrating all over my face, about my professors thinking me frivolous, about my friends finding it weird. Then, I realized three things: it looks awesome, it feels awesome, and no one cares as long as it’s still just on your lips by the end of the day. What used to scare me has since become my standby and I’ve even expanded beyond classic red – but no matter the shade I’m wearing, it’s always bright, always bold, and often more than a little intimidating.

So, without further ado, here’s (effectively) everything you’ve ever needed to know about pulling off bright lipstick, whether bravely at your 10 am or as a beginner under the cover of night.

The Shades

The basic categories of bright lipstick, in my admittedly fairly unprofessional, though still fairly experienced, opinion, are pink, red, and purple. Here are my favorites:

Pink, the easiest starting point.

[ L to R: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Teak Rose, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Sweetheart, Wet n’ Wild Lipstick in Mauve Outta Here, Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Pink Chic]

These four shades cover the basics of pinks – dusty and rosy, bright and bold, deep and half-purple, and basic and baby. The Revlon Balm Stain is the best of the bunch in my opinion; of all of them it’s the strongest, most long-lasting, and highest-impact.

Red, classic for a reason.

[L to R: Nars Lipstick in Heat Wave, NYC Ultra Moist Lip Wear in Retro Red, Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm Stain in Standout, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Vintage]

All of these reds will work with most any skin tone while covering a range of shades. The Nars is orange-based and even brighter in person, the NYC has been my go-to for months because I swear it is the most perfect blue-based-red out there and stays on forever, the Revlon stain is the only matte red that I’ve ever had not dry out my lips and look good for hours, and the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is the one I use for theatre makeup – it does not budge.

Purple, probably the most intimidating but also the most exciting.

[L to R: Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Vintage Pink, Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm Stain in Shameless, NYC Ultra Moist Lip Wear in Mahogany, and Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics in Black Dahlia]

Ah, purple. This was the hardest color for me to broach when I started wearing accent lipstick on a regular basis but is now my absolute favorite. It seems so weird and off-putting but also ends up being the most flattering. The Rimmel is a really nice mauve that’s easy to start with, while the Revlon stain is the craziest color I own. It’s a little scary but I also get multiple compliments every single time I wear it, so I think it’s also doable. The NYC is my favorite for night – a deep, rich purple that can be built up to almost-black or left more sheer. And, as with the red version pictured earlier, the OCC lip tar is true to color, rich and shiny, and stays on through thick and thin.

The Tips

1.     Stick to trusty brands that won’t be so dry as to make your lips flaky and won’t be as creamy as to get all over your face, Joker-style. As you can see from the above suggestions, Revlon and Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics consistently excel in the field and the $1 (yeah, you read that right) NYC is a surprisingly excellent underdog.

2.     Skip the blush. Maybe it’s just me but even the palest blush can read as clownish or heavy-handed when paired with a bold accent lip.

3.     Just do it. It’s not that scary… it’s just makeup. Ironic considering I’ve been writing about it for paragraphs on end and hopefully some of you have even read this far but seriously – it’s fun, it’s cool, and there’s a 95% chance (this is scientifically proven, I swear) no one but you will care.

Zoë is a senior at Harvard studying English, French, and Classics. She is an active member of the theatre community as one of the few specialized stage makeup designers and artists on campus. When not in the dressing rooms and at the makeup tables of the various stages available at Harvard, she is reading anything she can get her hands on, drinking endless cups of tea, and exploring new restaurants in the Boston area.