This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, at least as a Harvard student. It’s a time to forget about finals, papers, and incoming adulthood. It might be your first time attending or your last time as an undergrad.  So it’s great to think about the usual path taken for our favorite event.

You wake up as early as you can. Earlier than you would for any of your classes. You have probably decided your outfit days before. Maybe it’s the classic H sweater, a warm pullover and maybe a cute HerCampus Harvard flash tattoo as a great accessory. Now you’re ready to head out and start your Harvard-Yale out right.

You made it to the tailgate. Sure it’s great hanging out with your old friends,  meeting up with people you haven’t seen semesters ago and making new friends you meet in various areas near the stadium and taking great pictures. But the best part of the tailgate is all the food and beverages that you can have. Because what is a great football tailgate without food?

But then it’s actual game time. You get ready to wait in line to head to your seats. To get ready to watch kickoff. It’s always exciting at the start of the game, that is if you get to go see the game. It’s understandable that you get tired during the day with tailgate and all other activities so please take care of yourselves and your friends. 

Then of course, the actual GAME!!! Paying attention as players go from one side of the field to other. Getting riled up after every tackle and interception. And at the very best, celebrating every time our football team scores a touchdown. And another one. another one. At the same time, you’re totally sympathetic to the cheerleaders who have to do push-ups every touchdown but you’re glad about the reason why.

Then comes the nail biting finish. You waited in long lines for the bathroom. You sat in the somewhat uncomfortable stands and the freezing cold. You had to see part of the Yale student body strip down to their underwear. But in the end, staying for all four quarters of the Game is worth it.

After that wonderful high that comes from sports (and hopefully victory), it’s time to come down. The one thing going for Yale is the fact they have the rest of the week off while we still have classes the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving. So last minute cramming and last minute P-setting is a normal thing.

But in the end, you will remember that you had a wonderful time. You may not remember all the details due to all the fun you had. You might not even remember how you got into some interesting situations. But these stories will be ones that you can’t wait to tell to your friends, your Tinder matches, and even your family at the next gathering (well maybe not all of your tales).

So Happy Harvard-Yale and wishes for more fun and safe Harvard-Yales to come!

Kamara is a Junior in Leverett House. She loves talking about food, baby animals, food, unfunny jokes and of course, food.
harvard contributor