Harvard Ho-Co Chairs: Housing Day 2016!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

So, this is it. Housing Day Eve. All week you’ve heard from our writers, from freshmen to upperclassmen, about their feelings about this integral part of the Harvard experience. You’ve seen our pictures, you’ve watched Housing Day videos, you’ve planned your River Run. We know it’s overwhelming, but it truly is a rite of passage, one that you will remember with excitement regardless of how it turns out. And in case you were still a little nervous, we chatted with all the Ho-Co chairs to remind you that no matter where you are, near or far, everyone finds a home.

Adams

“I love Adams House so much because of the inclusive community that it creates. As a house that prides itself on tradition, it continues to create a welcoming atmosphere for all students of all backgrounds, and everyone from the staff, the house leaders, to the students are always looking out for each other. I feel so lucky to call Adams my home.” — Tasnim Ahmed

“I would say my favorite things about Adams are the traditions and history, and the Palfreys. Having such amazing House leaders really turns Adams into a home, and I’ve met my best friends here. Plus, we have the cutest babies.” — Cecilia Laguarda

Cabot

“There’s no better feeling in the world than laughing over hot drinks with friends in Cabot Café after a day of soaking in the sun on the Quad lawn. Cabot’s inclusive and entrepreneurial spirit creates the most welcoming community in which to share your thoughts, hopes, and dreams, celebrate our talents at Festivus, and write our own stories (shoutout to Rakesh and Stephanie!).” — Becca Ramos

Currier

“Currier. Where there are rooms called the Bee Hive, the Fish Bowl and the Mouse Hole and our mascot is a tree. Are you ready to be one with nature? And by nature, we mean days spent lounging on the quad lawn, 3 years of singles, the best dhall on campus (just look up “Cafeteria” on Wikipedia), kickass stein clubs, and the best community there is. Oh, and when it’s cold outside, you never have to leave the building. Need we say more?” — Margaret Irwin and Julia Lord

Dunster

The reason why Dunster occupies such a special place in our hearts is deep sense of community. While surely the pride surrounding renovations and the unsurpassed facilities like our indoor basketball court, grille or riverside courtyard are central to our house-life, the people that live, eat and grow in Dunster House are, simply put, cuh-ray-zee cool.” — Danny Banks

Eliot

“I love the unique opportunities the Eliot community has to come together to celebrate being members of our Domus. From formal dinners to weekly Eliot Night Stein Clubs to our annual charity auction, there are so many ways to make new friends, eat delicious food, and feel like a part of a great house. Our three formals (especially Fête), beautiful river views, and late-night Grille are pretty cool too! Floreat Domus de Eliot!” — Melissa Hammer

Kirkland

Leverett

“Leverett is more than just a House, it’s become my home. There’s nothing I love more than hanging out along the river or in one of the newly renovated rooms, or eating Monkeybread and sharing laughs with my fellow Leverites. Right now we’ve been spending a lot of time rediscovering old traditions and implementing new ideas, all part of a larger effort to reinvigorate House spirit, which has been growing every year. When I look back at my life at Harvard, I have no doubt that I’ll remember most fondly my time here at Lev and the wonderful community of which I’ve been lucky enough to be a member.” — Celeste Mendoza

Lowell

Lowell House is a place with a great community, strong tradition, and is a house we know you can call a home. From Trivia Night and Coffee House, to Bacchanalia and our steins, we know that you’ll be able to enjoy your time in Lowell house with blockmates and new friends alike. Dorothy and Diana invite all Lowellians to tea on Thursdays to continue to bond as a house over monkey bread, baked brie and good company, and to welcome freshmen to their future home.” — Tina Murphy

Mather

Mather has incredible community, centered on our gorgeous, sun-filled dining hall with floor to ceiling windows looking out onto the river. Our happy hours, intramural competition, annual foam party, and wonderful tutors and house-masters (faculty deans?) bring Matherites together and create a home for all the students lucky enough to get Mather on Housing Day.” — Avni Nahar

“As known as the Concrete Jungle, Mather House provides its residents with an unparalleled community here at Harvard. With our committed House Committee, wonderful resident deans, and amazing house staff, we strive to create an outstanding and inclusive social scene for all residents here at Mather House. #Singles4Life” — Trevor Mullin

Pforzheimer

“My favorite thing about Pfoho is that during my faux-Visitas prior to freshman year, I visited Pfoho because the other kids had heard about a party going on in the Belltower. That night I instead wandered into the two-storied dhall, grabbed some popcorn from a man who I now know was the Head Tutor Deji, and watched an iconic movie, Bridesmaids. It really made me look forward to the pfantastic experiences at Harvard!” — Muhammed Ors

Quincy

Quincy, a House of the people, for the people, and by the people, shall remain for eternity as the House of ping pong, the Grille, hot real estate, swing dance, and camaraderie. With our fierce devotion towards servicing Quincy penguins plus the greater Harvard community, and determination to actually win the Strauss Cup, Quincy House takes in the the tired, the poor-spirited, and the huddled young freshmen yearning to breathe free from Annenberg.” — Janice Jia

Winthrop

“The cohesive community of Winthrop starts with the tutors; a diverse, dedicated group of individuals that truly make the House shine.  Their commitment to Winthrop Intramurals, House programming and student life establish them as not only advisors and role models but, in many cases, great friends.” — Matthew Disorbo

Zoë is a senior at Harvard studying English, French, and Classics. She is an active member of the theatre community as one of the few specialized stage makeup designers and artists on campus. When not in the dressing rooms and at the makeup tables of the various stages available at Harvard, she is reading anything she can get her hands on, drinking endless cups of tea, and exploring new restaurants in the Boston area.