First Impressions of Harvard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

The gleaming first little impressions you get of Harvard never truly do the university justice. The spark of excitement from a recruitment letter, or the first visit and history-packed tour– they all leave their mark on a person, but they are really only a small glimpse. None of these impressions matter, really, once you step onto campus as a freshman. Everything you thought you knew about college life or Harvard washes away with your makeup in the heavy, wet August heat of Cambridge. Freshman week and freshman fall–that’s when you get your first real impression of Harvard. 

As a reminiscent senior, here’s a mini play-by-play of my first impressions of this place I call home. 

1. HOT. HOLY FXCK. HOT.

I don’t know if I’ve acclimated to it or if my freshman fall was truly the hottest of all, but I can assure you that for my first few hours on Harvard’s campus my mind only had one thought on repeat: holy balls it’s freaking H O T ! Humidity wasn’t a tangible concept prior to my east coast move and well, it was a rough adjustment to say the least.

2. We’re Not in California Anymore, Toto.

As far as the eye could see: polos, sperry’s and salmon shorts galore. Where was I, and how did I come to be here? This was truly an eye-opening moment for a small-town California beach girl. Where are people’s rainbows and raybans? Oversized graphic tee’s and vans…hello!?! I needed you. The panic set in deeper every time I saw people wearing paisley prints and sun dresses. Here I was still wearing a bikini top instead of a bra, because as far as I was concerned, it was still summer. Was I doing something wrong?

3. The WOW’s and WTF’s of the Architecture.

Walking around the Yard for your first time as an official student freshman year is the second most amazing experience I’ve had on campus, right behind walking around the Yard as a new senior. The looming, daunting, and stunning architecture is more than impressive– It’s awe-inspiring. You think, wow, why aren’t all buildings built like this? There’s no aesthetic like brick and mortar! The architecture of this place really tells stories!  And then… you see the Science Center…. Or Quincy Dhall… and, well, just about every dorm with their slanted stairs and low doorways. That’s when you realize, Wow! Thank God not all buildings are built like this!

4. Where the hood, where the hood, where the hood at?

Yes, this is on my mind…

But really, I was all upside down and backwards when I stepped on this campus. Despite the campus map I had taped to the wall above my desk, I was constantly lost and wandering around with no direction. What’s with the crooked, one-way streets Cambridge?! Don’t you know freshman year is hard enough without getting lost every two hours?

5. F is for Friends Who Do Stuff Together.

It’s odd to say that the task of making friends and meeting people was really only fifth on my list of lasting freshman year impressions, but it honestly wasn’t that big of a deal. Every single person I met had redeeming qualities. Everyone was so intelligent, lively, and surprisingly down-to-earth. Sure, not everyone I met became a dear friends, but they were all worth meeting. If there’s one thing I’ve become so very grateful about when looking at my experience at Harvard, it’s the people. The people make it all worth it; all the terrible blizzards and heat waves, all the hideous salmon-colored clothing, all the intimidating archways and terrifying stairways, and even all the wasted wandering hours. There’s no place that could really compare to Harvard.

harvard contributor