An Evening with Champions: A Night to Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

The 45th annual An Evening with Champions show was certainly a night to remember. The show was as diverse as it was beautiful. An Evening with Champions featured witty commentary, a colorful lights show to rival even the flashiest disco, ice skating, ice dancing, and even synchronized skating (yep — just like synchronized swim, but on ice).

Skaters, young and old (Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov, two-time Olympic Champions and four-time World Champions, have been skating together since 1956!), included Harvard students, Olympians, and World Champions. Each performance offered a fresh take on the sport. Christina Gao’s Gangnam Style performance and Harrison Choate’s performance Play That Funky Music created a quirky, fun balance to the slow ballads of many of the other skaters. 

Clearly, a broad collection of talents and resources had come together to make a special event. Proceeds from the event went to The Jimmy Fund, which “supports cancer research and compassionate patient care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.” Harvard Athletics contributed the Bright-Landry Hockey Center. Harvard students contributed their design prowess, web design skills, event planning, technical theater skills, an a cappella performance, and of course, their skills on the ice to create a meaningful event.

In the words of representatives from the Jimmy Fund at the event, “You don’t have to be a doctor to cure cancer.” An Evening with Champions certainly proved that everyone has something to offer in the fight against cancer. Since it’s founding, An Evening with Champions has raised $2.7 million. 

Photo source.

Product Management Intern at Her Campus