Campus Celeb: Sally McGrath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Meet Sally McGrath!  

Year: Sophomore

House: Winthrop

Major: History of Art and Architecture

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m a radio DJ for WHRB where I host a show on The Blues. I’m also a member of Alpha Phi where I’m the director of merchandise, and I’m a member of the Radcliffe Choral Society.

What are you most looking forward to this year?

I’m crazy excited for Harvard/Yale and getting more involved with the things I already love.

What did you do this past summer?  Any funny stories?

This summer I was living in New York where I interned for Spirit Music Group, an independent music publisher that represents a ton of awesome people like Pete Townshend and The Who, Zooey Deschanel, Big Data and The Naked and Famous. Everyone I worked with was incredibly knowledgeable about music but they also didn’t take themselves too seriously which led to a lot of crazy musical experiences in the office. There was one afternoon they figured out how to slow down youtube, so they started playing 90’s rap songs at half speed with whale songs playing over it. It was one of the weirdest and most hilarious things I’ve ever heard. It kept escalating for hours and by the end it was almost starting to sound good; that’s when I knew it was time to leave for the day.  

Tell us about one of your role models.

I’m a little obsessed with Mindy Kaling. She’s smart, hilarious and has accomplished so much but never takes herself too seriously. You can tell she works hard but she always stays humorous, self-deprecating, and down to earth.

What is one thing on your bucket list?

The absolute number one thing on my bucket list is to climb the seven summits, which are the tallest mountains on every continent. I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro when I was 16 and I’ve been wanting to do it ever since.  I’d also want to dive with a whale shark and sail every major ocean and sea.  

…How about your Harvard bucket list?

This is tough (and ever tougher to keep PG), but I guess I’ve never actually seen Love Story so I feel like I missed an important rite of passage there. One year I’ll have to crash freshman orientation and watch it.

I’d also really like to graduate.

harvard contributor