Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Harvard Blog

Halloween: Bey's Day

By Aisha Bhoori
October 27, 2014 - 9:00am

1.      Beyoncé is #flawless queen of the world. 2.      She and her music run the world. 3.      Every man wishes he were Jay-Z to put a ring on it. These are presumably a priori facts, as central to our nation’s governance as any amendment or legal statute. A trailer to the fictional horror movie, The Beygency, both augmented this assumed cultural premise and solidified my Halloween costume. Hailed as the best Saturday Night Live (SNL) skit in history, The Beygency trailer depicts Andrew Garfield as a man audacious (foolish?) enough to critique Beyoncé. “She is so good,” he exclaims. “I’m not a huge fan of that of one ‘Drunk in Love’ song though.” READ MORE

Ten in a Week of Twenty

By Samantha Lo
October 23, 2014 - 5:10pm

Things I Will Remember about the First Week of my Twenties: READ MORE

A Winning Collaboration: New Balance x The Head of the Charles

By Halie LeSavage
October 19, 2014 - 12:40pm

Hometown athletic brand New Balance has a simple motto: “Make Excellent Happen." Excellence is a high demand, but this company consistently lives up to its word in the form of innovative and eye-catching shirts, jackets, bottoms, and shoes fit for an active lifestyle (and an active collegiette!). Last Wednesday, The Tannery in Boston unveiled a New Balance product celebrating another local tradition of excellence: The first official shoe for the Head of the Charles Regatta. READ MORE

Hey Harvard, It's On Us

By Annie Schugart
October 17, 2014 - 11:11pm

“We need to bend the culture curve in the right directon,” said Kyle Lierman, director of the “It’s On Us” White House initiative when he visited Harvard, “in the direction where [sexual assault] is just not acceptable.” The “It’s On Us” campaign was launched in September this year, with the goal of preventing sexual assault specifically on college campuses by promoting the importance of bystander intervention. Lierman visited Harvard to speak to students about the campaign on Oct. 7, hosted by the Harvard College Democrats. READ MORE

Love/Hate for the Quad

By Jahnavi Curlin
October 17, 2014 - 9:42pm

Let’s just say it.  It’s on all of our minds, and I'll be the one to put it out there: The Quad is incredible.   Sophomore year is an adjustment, for sure.  I’m no longer living right next door to the John Harvard statue, but I’m also no longer swimming through tourists to get to the Berg for a bowl of cereal.   The Quad is home.  When I leave in the morning, walking through Porter to grab a coffee, I feel like I am more a part of the city.  When I get back to the Quad at night and see the lit-up Pfoho bell towers, I know I’m back.  So, for all of you freshmen eagerly looking towards Housing Day, here’s a quick list of why the Quad (holla at Cabot) is the best:   1.  The Shuttle READ MORE

No Soul Left Behind: Confusing Kleos for Nostos

By Aisha Bhoori
October 15, 2014 - 9:00am

When author William Deresiewicz visited Harvard on September 22 to discuss his contentious book, Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life, he was asked by Harvard faculty about his emphasis on education’s role in cultivating the student’s self. Professor of English, Amanda Claybaugh, stated that Deresiewicz’s view seems to espouse a “No Soul Left Behind” policy that places an undue onus on institutions to foster an intangible entity.   READ MORE

Work Out Culture at Harvard: On Being a NARP

By Catherine Bousquet
October 14, 2014 - 9:00am

Working at Harvard is a guarantee, going out at Harvard is likely, but “working out” and “Harvard” almost don’t sound right together.  On this campus, exercise— if we exercise at all—typically only occurs in extremes. There are athletes who devote so much time to their sports that they travel days at a time and forgo other extracurriculars, and law school students who use the elliptical as they read law cases, each task with a measured intensity that I frankly don’t think I’d be able to devote to either task, much less both at the same time.  READ MORE

Rain, Rain Isn't Going Away: Fall Beauty Transitions

By Zoë Burgard
October 13, 2014 - 9:00am

If you read my post last week, you’ll know that, while I’m happy to be reunited with my roommates and enjoying my classes, I’m less than thrilled about no longer being in Italy. Adjusting after studying abroad is a difficult thing to tackle, and it’s something I have yet to succeed with. However, one post-summer transition that I can figure out and am here to share with you today is that of beauty routines. This summer, my beauty routine consisted of rinsing my face, loading up on mascara, and swiping on one of my favorite lipsticks. READ MORE

One Time On A Date...

By Cecilia M. Eberhard
October 9, 2014 - 2:00pm

I Swear It’s True! Harvard People Go On Dates! READ MORE

Back to Reality: Life After Study Abroad

By Zoë Burgard
October 9, 2014 - 9:00am

The first day I arrived in Genoa, I couldn’t figure out how to eat dinner. I had flown in to the capital of Liguria in northern Italy on a Saturday, from Boston via Munich. A teacher from the institute where I’d spend five weeks of my summer learning Italian picked me up at the airport and drove me to the rental apartment I had found through AirBnB. The teacher was a young local woman who spoke lightly accented but fluent English. We passed the harbor and drove through the city proper – from the very first moment I saw it, I was transfixed by Genoa’s strange appearance: that of a once-thriving port town now gone partially to seed. READ MORE