Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Harvard Blog

Why My Sex Life Isn't Like Natalie Portman's (And Other Things My Mom Doesn't Know)

By Anonymous Collegiette
April 16, 2014 - 10:00pm

There is a sort of beauty in an awkward hookup. Consider, as an explanation, the beginning scene of Bridesmaids (if you still haven’t seen this film, stop reading RIGHT NOW, go watch it, and then continue). In this gem of an opening moment, a carefully prepared Kristen Wigg attempts to romantify a slightly arrhythmic and universally uncomfortable sexual encounter that is somehow reminiscent of a two year old throwing a temper tantrum, or maybe an epileptic walrus learning to walk. Aside from the main issue in the scene – Kristen’s hopelessly casual "relationship"–we cringe while we watch because of the true, unabashed purity of it. This scene is awkward. Sex is awkward. And that just can’t be helped....

Gap Year Reflections

By Olivia Goldberg
April 10, 2014 - 8:41am

No, I didn’t learn how to snorkel. No, I didn’t go to Morocco. No, I didn’t start my own company.   I took a year off and, no, I didn’t do anything exotic. In fact, I lived at home with my parents in good old, Severna Park, Maryland (aka a non-descript suburb). I watched way too much T.V. and took long naps and spent hours watching Youtube compilation videos of puppies and babies playing together (may I recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JWXF-Pud4). READ MORE

3 Sites to Help With Your Summer Internship Search

By Sylvie Rubin-Budick
April 8, 2014 - 9:00am

Time has flown by so quickly that it’s hard to believe that summer is just around the corner. I find myself browsing LinkedIn during lectures, refreshing my email every minute, and begging every adult I know for an internship. If you’re in a similar position, here is a helpful guide to help you find a last minute summer internship: 1.    Intern Sushi  This website is my life. After filling out an adorable profile, you can apply to internships in one click. You can search for internships that match your interest, location, and availability. Intern Sushi makes finding an internship a piece of cake.  2.    InternMatch ...

An Open Letter to My Freshman Year

By Aubrey Stoddard
April 7, 2014 - 2:15pm

Editor's Note: This post is the first in a series written by one student in each class at Harvard.    My dearest freshman year, You know that moment of sheer blindness that occurs when you turn on the light in a pitch black room? I felt that way the moment I received an email from Harvard admissions reading, “Congratulations!” And I must admit that it has taken almost a year for my eyes to begin to adjust. READ MORE

An Open Letter to My Mom

By Taylor Kay Phillips
April 3, 2014 - 3:15pm

Dear Mom,   I started this letter about nine different times. I thought you’d like that – how many times I started. How many different ways that I wanted this to go. How many first words and phrases. How many decisions about indentations. How many fragments I would eventually let introduce my letter. I started this letter about nine different times. Because there are so many things that I want to say first – so many sentiments that are the most important – so many gratitudes and platitudes and attitudes that in some way or another should take priority over all the rest. And I couldn’t decide. But I started anyway - just like you taught me. READ MORE

An Open Letter to Spring

By Chloe Volkwein
April 1, 2014 - 2:30pm

Dear Spring, Honestly, I didn’t know if you were coming this year.  Until a few weeks ago, black ice and weekly blizzards had become a fact of life, and I had given up hope that I would ever see flowers or be able to leave my dorm without a jacket again.  I had resigned myself to the idea of a lifetime of winter and darkness, Game of Thrones-style. READ MORE

An Open Letter to My Harvard Acceptance Letter

By Sylvie Rubin-Budick
March 27, 2014 - 2:50pm

Dear Harvard Acceptance Letter,  I would first like to thank you for changing my life. Thank you for confirming that I am a smart, bright, creative individual; no matter how many writing or science research awards I won, I was never convinced that I was truly smart.  The college admissions process was a whirlwind ride of emotions of hopelessness, sadness, nervousness, and excitement. I lost track of myself in the frenzy of applications, exhausted from selling myself to admissions counselors and convincing them that I was as good as my résumé. Thank you, acceptance letter, for validating my worth. READ MORE

bobble!

By Elizabeth Melampy
March 14, 2014 - 10:55pm

Harvard has recently achieved a HUGE accomplishment by being one of the first schools to ban plastic water bottles! On March 12th, we partnered with bobble to celebrate. We showed how wasteful plastic water bottles can be with an amazing art installation, and we passed out free bobbles to everyone to celebrate sustainability! To make the transition to sustainability even easier, bobble gave the Harvard campus two new water refill stations. We hope you'll take your brand new bobble (or another water bottle!) to these stations and refill to stay healthy and happy as the weather gets warmer! READ MORE

Cambridge Staycation

By Olivia Goldberg
March 14, 2014 - 9:00am

Staying in Cambridge over Spring Break? We know it can be a bit depressing when all of your friends scurry off to Florida or return home and leave you in the red-brick Harvard jungle. But think of it this way: you get a free, 7-day vacation in one of the U.S.’s major cities. For once, you have a whole week in Boston with no homework (okay, well maybe a little). And no matter what you wish you were doing this Spring Break, you can still find a way to do it right here:   For those who wish they were at the Beach… READ MORE

8 Secrets to Snagging Your Favorite House

By Gianna Cacciatore
March 12, 2014 - 4:00pm

Housing day is this Thursday, and until then, every freshman on campus is guaranteed to suffer a few sweat-inducing nightmares. On the bright side, the weeks of passive-aggressive-borderline-evil blocking group drama are over. On the dark side, the threat of the Quad now looms, growing closer and more menacing with each passing second. But not to worry--your expert staffers here at Her Campus have sifted through over fifty years of Housing Day myths and legends to provide you with what we believe to be a comprehensive list of the most certain ways to please the housing gods, work with the system, and maybe get you into that house you’ve been dreaming of all year. Read on, young freshmen, read on....