Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Harvard Blog

Sweater Weather Studying: Outdoor Study Spaces for Fall

By Zoë Burgard
September 19, 2014 - 11:53am

As the third week of the fall semester draws to a close (wait, what?!), homework is starting to pile up. While, yes, sweater weather is fast approaching, I’m not quite ready to bury myself in a library yet. Don’t get me wrong, I love Widener (though I’ll never reveal the location of my favorite hidden reading room) and the house libraries (no Lamont, though – I refuse) but I have all winter ahead of me to work under artificial lights and amidst uncontrollable radiators. For the time being, I’d rather throw a scarf in my bag and bundle up to work in the fresh air. READ MORE

Get Prepped: Your New Go-To Spot for Affordable Fashion

By Halie LeSavage, Elizabeth MeLampy
September 14, 2014 - 7:30pm

The semester may already be in session, but there's still plenty of time to use back-to-school as an excuse to shop--even on a collegiette's budget. Last weekend, our Editors explored your new go-to spot for finding all of your favorite fashions--Cambridgeside Galleria! Located a 5-minute shuttle ride away from the Kendall/MIT T station, Cambridgeside is the premiere choice for any Harvard collegiette searching for additions to her wardrobe. Don't believe us? Just see how many of our requirements for purchasing perfection it meets: Vast selection of stores to meet every style? Check. READ MORE

Making Your Dorm Into Your Home

By Aubrey Stoddard
September 13, 2014 - 8:00am

My freshman year roommate would definitely be able to attest: I was a MESS my freshman fall. I mean, sure, I had better-than-decent grades, I was holding down two jobs, and I had a few good friends. But I was so homesick, I barely went a week without crying. But all of this sadness and waste of tissues could have been—if not alleviated—at least helped by making my dorm room into more of a home right upon entering college. Here are a few tips I wish I’d been given upon entering college, as well as some pictures of my own dorm room this year. 1. PICTURES! READ MORE

An Open Letter to Senior Year

By Michelle Dimino
June 12, 2014 - 2:00pm

Dear Senior Year, I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to you just yet. I know that you’re already gone, and have been for over a week now, but it hasn’t really set in yet, and I’m not entirely sure when it will. Real talk: graduating college is very, very weird. To recognize that my Harvard is not “Harvard” but the Harvard that was made from the presence of specific people in that place at that time—and then to further recognize that Harvard isn’t mine anymore, in that sense, and that it’s really just… over? How do I wrap my head around that? How can I miss so many little and big things all at once? And now, how do I make that leap from being a senior to being a freshman again? READ MORE

Why I'm Not Sorry That "Legally Blonde" is My Favorite Movie

By Chloe Volkwein
May 9, 2014 - 10:00pm

I was about eleven years old when I first watched Legally Blonde, which, in case you’ve been stranded on a desert island since 2001 and haven’t seen the movie, is a feel-good comedy about a blonde LA girly girl and sorority president named Elle Woods who follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School in an attempt to win him back.  To eleven-year-old me, Legally Blonde was just a fun movie with a lot of jokes and references that I didn’t really understand.  Now a wise and mature college freshman, I have seen the movie more times than anyone I know and I am proud to say that I understand most of the adult jokes.  READ MORE

Mother's Day Gift Guide

By Sylvie Rubin-Budick
May 7, 2014 - 3:00pm

Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday, and it’s time to shower our beautiful mothers with presents! In the throw of finals, it’s understandable if you’ve forgotten to order your dear mom a present, but there’s still time! Here are some ideas if you’re stuck: 1. A Picture Frame I got my mom a picture frame last mother’s day, and included three pictures: one of me as a baby, another as a child, and the final a recent photo of us. She started crying on the spot. Mothers love to have any excuse to show off pictures of their gorgeous daughters! Opting for a multi-photo picture frame will allow you to have a wide range of pictures, showing your mom how much you’ve grown. 2. Jewelry READ MORE

College: Expectations vs. Reality

By Olivia Goldberg
April 29, 2014 - 1:00pm

Expectation: Salad bar? I’m going to lose SO much weight this year! Reality: Unlimited frozen yogurt and cookies? I’m going to make an ice cream sandwich.   Expectation: I’m going to meet my husband. Reality: I’m going to meet this guy I’ve been talking to on Tinder.   Expectation: Nobel Prize-winning professor? I’m going to go to office hours EVERY week. Reality: Nobel Prize-winning professor? I’m going to find someone really tall to sit behind.   Expectation: I’m going to put in the effort to actually look put-together in college. Reality: I’m going to wear the same pants I wore yesterday and hope no one notices.    READ MORE

An Open Letter to My Sophomore Year

By Anna Papp
April 22, 2014 - 10:00am

Dear Sophomore Year, READ MORE

Why My Sex Life Isn't Like Natalie Portman's (And Other Things My Mom Doesn't Know)

By Anonymous Collegiette
April 16, 2014 - 10:00pm

There is a sort of beauty in an awkward hookup. Consider, as an explanation, the beginning scene of Bridesmaids (if you still haven’t seen this film, stop reading RIGHT NOW, go watch it, and then continue). In this gem of an opening moment, a carefully prepared Kristen Wigg attempts to romantify a slightly arrhythmic and universally uncomfortable sexual encounter that is somehow reminiscent of a two year old throwing a temper tantrum, or maybe an epileptic walrus learning to walk. Aside from the main issue in the scene – Kristen’s hopelessly casual "relationship"–we cringe while we watch because of the true, unabashed purity of it. This scene is awkward. Sex is awkward. And that just can’t be helped....

Gap Year Reflections

By Olivia Goldberg
April 10, 2014 - 8:41am

No, I didn’t learn how to snorkel. No, I didn’t go to Morocco. No, I didn’t start my own company.   I took a year off and, no, I didn’t do anything exotic. In fact, I lived at home with my parents in good old, Severna Park, Maryland (aka a non-descript suburb). I watched way too much T.V. and took long naps and spent hours watching Youtube compilation videos of puppies and babies playing together (may I recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JWXF-Pud4). READ MORE