Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Harvard Blog

An Open Letter to Senior Year

By Michelle Dimino
June 12, 2014 - 2:00pm

Dear Senior Year, I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to you just yet. I know that you’re already gone, and have been for over a week now, but it hasn’t really set in yet, and I’m not entirely sure when it will. Real talk: graduating college is very, very weird. To recognize that my Harvard is not “Harvard” but the Harvard that was made from the presence of specific people in that place at that time—and then to further recognize that Harvard isn’t mine anymore, in that sense, and that it’s really just… over? How do I wrap my head around that? How can I miss so many little and big things all at once? And now, how do I make that leap from being a senior to being a freshman again? READ MORE

Why I'm Not Sorry That "Legally Blonde" is My Favorite Movie

By Chloe Volkwein
May 9, 2014 - 10:00pm

I was about eleven years old when I first watched Legally Blonde, which, in case you’ve been stranded on a desert island since 2001 and haven’t seen the movie, is a feel-good comedy about a blonde LA girly girl and sorority president named Elle Woods who follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School in an attempt to win him back.  To eleven-year-old me, Legally Blonde was just a fun movie with a lot of jokes and references that I didn’t really understand.  Now a wise and mature college freshman, I have seen the movie more times than anyone I know and I am proud to say that I understand most of the adult jokes.  READ MORE

Mother's Day Gift Guide

By Sylvie Rubin-Budick
May 7, 2014 - 3:00pm

Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday, and it’s time to shower our beautiful mothers with presents! In the throw of finals, it’s understandable if you’ve forgotten to order your dear mom a present, but there’s still time! Here are some ideas if you’re stuck: 1. A Picture Frame I got my mom a picture frame last mother’s day, and included three pictures: one of me as a baby, another as a child, and the final a recent photo of us. She started crying on the spot. Mothers love to have any excuse to show off pictures of their gorgeous daughters! Opting for a multi-photo picture frame will allow you to have a wide range of pictures, showing your mom how much you’ve grown. 2. Jewelry READ MORE

College: Expectations vs. Reality

By Olivia Goldberg
April 29, 2014 - 1:00pm

Expectation: Salad bar? I’m going to lose SO much weight this year! Reality: Unlimited frozen yogurt and cookies? I’m going to make an ice cream sandwich.   Expectation: I’m going to meet my husband. Reality: I’m going to meet this guy I’ve been talking to on Tinder.   Expectation: Nobel Prize-winning professor? I’m going to go to office hours EVERY week. Reality: Nobel Prize-winning professor? I’m going to find someone really tall to sit behind.   Expectation: I’m going to put in the effort to actually look put-together in college. Reality: I’m going to wear the same pants I wore yesterday and hope no one notices.    READ MORE

An Open Letter to My Sophomore Year

By Anna Papp
April 22, 2014 - 10:00am

Dear Sophomore Year, READ MORE

Why My Sex Life Isn't Like Natalie Portman's (And Other Things My Mom Doesn't Know)

By Anonymous Collegiette
April 16, 2014 - 10:00pm

There is a sort of beauty in an awkward hookup. Consider, as an explanation, the beginning scene of Bridesmaids (if you still haven’t seen this film, stop reading RIGHT NOW, go watch it, and then continue). In this gem of an opening moment, a carefully prepared Kristen Wigg attempts to romantify a slightly arrhythmic and universally uncomfortable sexual encounter that is somehow reminiscent of a two year old throwing a temper tantrum, or maybe an epileptic walrus learning to walk. Aside from the main issue in the scene – Kristen’s hopelessly casual "relationship"–we cringe while we watch because of the true, unabashed purity of it. This scene is awkward. Sex is awkward. And that just can’t be helped....

Gap Year Reflections

By Olivia Goldberg
April 10, 2014 - 8:41am

No, I didn’t learn how to snorkel. No, I didn’t go to Morocco. No, I didn’t start my own company.   I took a year off and, no, I didn’t do anything exotic. In fact, I lived at home with my parents in good old, Severna Park, Maryland (aka a non-descript suburb). I watched way too much T.V. and took long naps and spent hours watching Youtube compilation videos of puppies and babies playing together (may I recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JWXF-Pud4). READ MORE

3 Sites to Help With Your Summer Internship Search

By Sylvie Rubin-Budick
April 8, 2014 - 9:00am

Time has flown by so quickly that it’s hard to believe that summer is just around the corner. I find myself browsing LinkedIn during lectures, refreshing my email every minute, and begging every adult I know for an internship. If you’re in a similar position, here is a helpful guide to help you find a last minute summer internship: 1.    Intern Sushi  This website is my life. After filling out an adorable profile, you can apply to internships in one click. You can search for internships that match your interest, location, and availability. Intern Sushi makes finding an internship a piece of cake.  2.    InternMatch ...

An Open Letter to My Freshman Year

By Aubrey Stoddard
April 7, 2014 - 2:15pm

Editor's Note: This post is the first in a series written by one student in each class at Harvard.    My dearest freshman year, You know that moment of sheer blindness that occurs when you turn on the light in a pitch black room? I felt that way the moment I received an email from Harvard admissions reading, “Congratulations!” And I must admit that it has taken almost a year for my eyes to begin to adjust. READ MORE

An Open Letter to My Mom

By Taylor Kay Phillips
April 3, 2014 - 3:15pm

Dear Mom,   I started this letter about nine different times. I thought you’d like that – how many times I started. How many different ways that I wanted this to go. How many first words and phrases. How many decisions about indentations. How many fragments I would eventually let introduce my letter. I started this letter about nine different times. Because there are so many things that I want to say first – so many sentiments that are the most important – so many gratitudes and platitudes and attitudes that in some way or another should take priority over all the rest. And I couldn’t decide. But I started anyway - just like you taught me. READ MORE