5 Ways to Eat Free at Harvard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Like most college students, I am all for saving money… but I am also all for food. Herein lies a problem. One good thing about Harvard is that they make you get an unlimited meal plan, so you do end up spending less on food than you might at another school. But sometimes you have a class or activity that happens during meal hours. Sometimes you are a freshman who lives a solid seven-minute walk from Annenberg. Sometimes it’s 2 AM and you need a meal.  (Cannot confirm or deny if all of these have at one point been me.) What to do in times like these? The answer is a bit of resourcefulness and planning, but mostly some major traditional stinginess.

Bagged Meals

This is the least sketchy of them all, but most students are not aware of how much ordering a bagged meal can save! I’ve done this lots of times if I have a class that meets during a mealtime or know I’ll be swamped with work and won’t want to eat in the d-hall. Pro tip: Order extra snacks each time you get one and stock up!

To-Go Cups

If you haven’t noticed by now, all Harvard d-halls have these nifty little to-go cups with lids (often located near the grille or the hot drinks). But filling these with cereal or granola every time you visit the d-hall could grant you a major stash that would be perfect for any time you find yourself unable to get to the d-hall in a pinch.

Invest in Tupperware

So we’re getting a little sketchier here, but you would not believe the wonders a couple Tupperware containers can do. With these you can take real food, like a sandwich, some soup, or anything else you’d like to store away in your fridge until you need that extra bite!

Board Plus

So, everyone knows about Board Plus, but the key is to be smart about using it. I try to only use it for small items that I cannot get for free at a d-hall within two hours (i.e. late night coffee at Lamont). For non-coffee drinkers, treating yourself to food at some of Harvard’s cafés is an option, but beware, because food adds up very quickly! Remember, there will always been cake or sandwiches at the d-hall (and ones you have hopefully saved for later, if the d-hall’s not open!).

Larger To-Go Options

I have personally never done this, but if you like to keep a bottle of soda in your room, rather than buy it every time, try refilling in the d-hall! The probably would only work for upperclassmen who have d-hall access without tons of staff watching you. Try this one at your own risk, but if executed correctly, you could save some major moola.

There you have it! Though lots of us do try to escape HUDS food, embracing it just might be the thing you need so as to not have a mild heart-attack when you get your bank statement at the end of the month.

Missy is a freshman in Wigglesworth who does a lot of theatre and drinks a lot of coffee.
harvard contributor