12 Things You Realize When You Move from Southern California to Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Los Angeles is arguably the epitome of “West Coast,” while Boston ranks up there with New York City for the title of “Classic East Coast.” So what’s it like to make the move from the Golden State to the home of the American Revolution? Well, I can tell you that it is definitely a transition. You learn a few things.

1.    There is no Mexican food like SoCal Mexican food.

On a whole, what passes for “Mexican” food here is abysmal. Bean burritos made with refried bean paste? NOT Mexican food. My dining hall recently served a dark green paste with the label of guacamole. I would bet 1,000 carnitas tacos that there were no avocados harmed in the making of that “guacamole.” (And if you don’t know what ‘carnitas’ is, you’ve never had Mexican food.)

2.    Squirrels are the cutest creatures on the planet.

They were among the first few things I noticed in the land of no R’s. These adorable little animals make my day when they scamper across the branches of trees and nibble with their little hands on various squirrelly treats. I cannot get enough of them!

3.   People still exercise outside when it is below 50 degrees.

I have seen people wearing athletic shorts in the snow just to get in a quick jog. I am in awe of you, and at the same time, you disgust me. I will just shiver under my five layers of clothing while I scurry to the closest gym.

4.   Mass transportation, specifically the T, is the most ingenious invention in the history of ever.

You mean I can get places without hours of traffic, without polluting my environment more than absolutely necessary, without getting cut off and expressing my road rage, all while reading and texting and listening to music, etc…?

5.   It can be sunny without being warm.

In SoCal, if the sun is out and it is after about 8 AM, you can expect some heat. So imagine my shock and confusion when I look out my window to see a bright, welcoming sky then see the weather app on my phone display a temperature in the low teens. What!? Doesn’t that defy all the laws of physics and environment and weather?!

6.   The Gold Rush and the establishment of Spanish missions are not taught in school.

Instead, everybody here knows every fact about colonial America and the Revolution. It’s all 1789 instead of 1849.

7.  There is more to the daily news than entertainment.

The first time I watched news on the East Coast, I was shocked when 10 minutes went by without a single mention of Lindsay Lohan or Miley Cyrus. That’s not to say that people here don’t care about pop culture. It’s just to say that you can actually obtain real news in the morning from television here—not just gossip.

8.  People know politics.

Which probably is a result of the previous realization. I am astounded by the political knowledge of the people around me. Seriously, I have had a conversation with a homeless man about the validity of animal abuse legislation currently being passed in Congress. I know I am in a hotbed of intellectual stimulation being at a university like Harvard, but from my experience, the average person in the Cambridge/Boston area will know significantly more about current events than a person from back home.

9.   Handwarmers are not properly respected.

My New York roomie literally burst into peals of laughter when I received my package of 50+ handwarmers in the mail. Frostbite is no joke, my friend.

10.   It SNOWS on the BEACH. And rivers completely FREEZE.

Snow and sand become one!!!! I didn’t think it was possible!! And I mean, I knew ponds and little lakes froze—but flowing rivers!? INSANITY.

11.   People move West for a reason.

When I see a forecast of 3 to 5 inches of snow with a low of 1 degree, I am tempted to pack up a covered wagon, purchase some oxen, and follow that Oregon Trail straight to the fabled land of sunshine and prosperity. Manifest Destiny? More like “Man, get me the f*** away from this blizzard.” Power to those who don’t say deuces and buy a nonstop plane ticket from Logan to LAX.

And finally….

12.  It’s possible to have two homes.

Even if they are vastly different. Even if the below-freezing weathers make you question your sanity. Because truly, both Southern California and Boston have beautiful, unique qualities that make your adoration unavoidable. I am so lucky to have the opportunity to live in both.

--