Campus Celebrity: Javier Colon, ’00

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hartford chapter.

Our campus celebrity this week is Javier Colon ‘00, the winner of the first season of NBC’s The Voice.  Colon graduated from the Hartt School with a degree in music education. After his graduation, he toured with The Derek Trucks Band and later began a solo career. He has performed on The Tonight Show and the Today Show, as well as at the Rockefeller Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony in Manhattan. After his time on The Voice, Colon received a recording contract with Universal Public Records, although he chose to part with the company to receive a more “mutually beneficial relationship.”

At the Hartt School, Colon began as a musical theatre major, but changed his major to music education his sophomore year. He said that he hopes to be able to inspire kids with music the same way his music teachers inspired him. He has said that he greatly enjoyed his time at the Hartt School and that he feels at home on campus.