This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Sexual health is a taboo, yet an important topic. It is also a very complex topic, which can lead to misinformation being passed along as the truth. We are living in a time where STD rates in the United States are at the highest they have ever been. Understanding our reproductive system and everything associated with it can prevent problems later in life and even improve our lifestyles.

Myth #1: The Vagina Can Become “Loose” With The More Sex You Have

Many young women fear raising their “body count” because of this myth. This myth relates to deep misogynist values in our society. Intercourse DOES NOT permanently change the shape of the vagina! Only two circumstances can cause the vagina tissue muscle to fatigue and no longer fully contract: multiple childbirths and aging.

Myth #2: STDs Can Only Be Contracted Through P-in-V Sex

STDs and STIs can be contracted in so many ways which make it important to understand.

For example, Syphilis has several sites of initial infection including the mouth, lips, throat, genital area, rectum and anus. This is why using a condom during oral sex, as well as anal sex is important. Communicating with your partner and getting tested together is also a precaution that should be taken.

Myth #3: Birth Control Makes You Gain Weight

WebMD says that in the past, birth control had levels of hormones that would cause an increase in appetite and fluid retention. Nowadays, birth control options have lower levels of these hormones so weight gain is rare and usually temporary. Plus, every form of birth control is different and thus will affect every person differently.

Myth #4: You Don’t Need to Visit a Gynecologist If You Aren’t Sexually Active

Although pap smears are generally recommended for women who are 21 and older, your gynecologist can also provide other services regarding your sexual health. Visiting the gynecologist before you become sexually active can actually help prevent unplanned pregnancies and STIs.

Myth #5: Douching is a Safe Way to Clean the Vagina

According to Women’s Health, doctors do not recommend douching for a number of reasons.

The vagina is self-cleaning and using a douche can cause an imbalance of vaginal bacteria and mess with the PH level. This does not mean you shouldn’t wash your bikini area and in between your legs. Make sure to use unscented soap and warm water when washing this part of your body. If you are worried about the smell of your vagina, speak to your doctor.  

Myth #6: Women Are Supposed to Have a Period

Our elder female relatives often refer to a period as “cleaning” out toxins in our body. However, this has been debunked by many health professionals. So, if you are not getting your period while on birth control, don’t panic.

Leenika, or Nika, is a junior journalism major at Hampton University. She is a native of Laurel, Maryland and is a very proud Marylander. In addition to writing for HerCampus, Leenika is also the lifestyle editor of the Hampton Script. Follow her on twitter @callme_nika and on Instagram at lovely_nika.