Powerful Black Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

With Black History Month underway, it’s  important for us to remember our history. Her Campus has you covered with Black films for you to binge on this month. The movies listed below are a reminder to know your African American culture.

Hidden Figures

Hidden Figures is a great movie that all African American women need to see. This movie showcased hard working women,who were often pushed to the side, but ultimately achieved their goal. These women paved the way for us to do great things now. Being based in Hampton, it is important for not only Hampton women, but Hampton men to see the history that was made in our own university’s city.

For Colored Girls

For Colored Girls is a black film that showcases the story of different African American women. Each of the different women had a different story but we’re all connected in some way.  African American women in this movie were rape victims, social workers, domestic violence victims, and more. This movie showed that we all have struggles and other than being against each other, we as African American women need to be a shoulder for each other to lean on.

The Help

The Help is a movie about an aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960s who decides to write a book about the African American maids’ point of view on the white families for which they work. This movie shows the struggle that these maids went through and how they handled things. The women in this movie were strong despite the hardships they were put through. The Help is a must see, I mean who can forget Miss Minny’s chocolate pie?

Selma

Selma is based on the story of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  The movie follows his journey trying to obtain civil rights. Everyone should see this movie because Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the most influential civil rights leader. This movie showed we need to respect him for everything he has done for African Americans and not just because we get a day off from school.

The Butler

This movie is loosely based on the life of an African American butler who has different experiences and witness’s events in this many years of working at the White House. Through The Butler, we got an inside view of how a young slave turned into a butler. This movie shows a sense of pride in the butler from seeing his roots, to being able to meet the first African American president, Barack Obama, at the end of the movie.

12 Years a Slave

12 Years a Slave is a drama that follows an African American man who is from the North and is sold into slavery. The women in this movie also play a crucial role and show the side of how women were treated during slavery. Although this movie can be graphic, it is important for us to know our roots, our history and what our ancestors have been through.