This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

February 14th is around the corner, and you do not have a Valentine and it is the end of the world, right? No, it is not the end of the world. You do not need a man to be happy ladies on this materialistic holiday. Valentine’s day may just be one day but being in a relationship is a bigger commitment, and you may not be fully up for the challenge. So instead of sobbing this Valentine’s Day because you do not have a Valentine, enjoy being single, love and spoil yourself. Having someone special does not mean that the day has to pass by without you making it special. Self-love is the best kind of love. Here are a few ideas you can do to enjoy Valentine’s Day when you’re single:

1. Save Money

Boy oh boy, we all know that if you had a significant other in your life, you would be breaking your pockets buying the most expensive gifts. We are in college buying gifts is overrated, do not go broke over just one day. But for the single people out there got lucky, the only money that needs to spent is on themselves. Either save money for future self-activities or spend money just because you can.    

2. Treat Yourself What better day to take yourself out and spoil yourself than on Valentine’s Day? Take yourself on a shopping spree to take advantage of the holiday deals. Who doesn’t like a good deal every once in a while? Take all the money you would have spent on some guy and spend it on yourself. Buy yourself dinner and chocolates.  

3. Have a Galentine’s Day Celebration Single Ladies get all your girlfriends together and have some fun together on the 14th! Go out to eat to y’all favorite restaurants. Drink some wine. Watch movies. Go out and do something fun like play games, go-karting, top golf, etc. Just spend quality time with those that you care about. You and your girlfriends could also do a secret Santa exchange on Valentine’s day and give each other cute gifts, like stuffed animals, flowers, clothes, beauty products, and chocolate.    

4. No Disappointments When having a Valentine date comes expectations of your significant other to do the right thing. While us women will love to say that we will appreciate anything that is given to us we all know in our mind we still have certain expectations. You can just focus on you that day and making yourself feel good. Who knows you better than you and what you like better than you.  

5. Watch Flavor of Love reruns Catch a good laugh and turn to VH1 and watch reruns of one of the original reality love shows. Watch people make a fool out of themselves all for the cost of love. There are other good movies and good shows that will be on all day that you can enjoy while eating your favorite meal and drinking your favorite drink.  

Do not think of yourself as lonely this Valentine’s Day, enjoy yourself and your friends and just have fun to forget about not having a typical Valentine. Valentine’s Day can be fun without a man. More power to you and your self-love.

Mia is funny, creative, and caring. She is a Junior Marketing Major at Hampton University from Charlotte, North Carolina. One of her favorite things to do is eat, eat, eat. Little girl big girl appetite. She also enjoys watching all the ratchet and drama filled "reality" shows. Mia enjoys being surrounded by friends and family. She is a great listener and advice giver. She lives by the motto what is for you will be for you, and that God always has a plan for you no matter how down and out you may be, so trust in him and the purpose he has laid out for you. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.