Hampton Man Crush: Kendall Douglass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Meet Kendall Douglass, a sophomore, Cyber Security major from Upper Marlboro, Maryland! You may notice Kendall walking around in his uniform as he is a cadet in the Army ROTC battalion. In the battalion, he also is a member of the Public Affairs Committee and in the Running Club. He is also on the SGA Senate, a member of the DMV Pre-Alumni council, and Brother 2 Brother Mentoring Program. This week, Her Campus had the chance to sit down and talk in depth with this cutie!

HC: How has your Hampton experience been so far?

KD: It has actually been more than what I expected. Before coming here, I was decided on going to Virginia Tech because that was somewhere my father and I both liked, but right before the deadline I chose to come to Hampton. I can definitely say that I have met some wonderful people that I know I wouldn’t have come across if I wasn’t here. I contemplated transferring after freshman fall semester, but I stuck it out and don’t regret it. It’s one of those “it gets better as time goes on” experiences.

HC: When would you say it’s safe to bring a girl home for the holiday?

KD: Well, I don’t think there is a minimum amount of time, but when you are certain that you want to be with that girl for a long time and she’s the one. If you don’t know this, it would be pointless for her to meet all of your family and get accustomed, and next thing you know you guys aren’t together anymore. Once she meets the family, I guarantee they are going to ask about her every time they see you.

HC: If you had a time machine what Hampton event would you go back to?

KD: 100 Days. Hands down. Seeing everybody lit in the small ass atrium crowd-surfing was one for the books. I didn’t even know that many people could fit in there but we made it work. Once the fire alarm went off, everyone just took the party outside. And the outfits? You can definitely tell when it’s a Hampton Holiday because everybody be snapping with their fits. Overall great ambiance.

HC: Do you believe in the Hampton Man?

KD: Of course! They most definitely exist but are sometimes underappreciated so I won’t say too much about that. I know that’s a sensitive topic for some people on campus.  

HC: What single event has had the biggest impact on who you are today?

KD: It’s not an event, but more of a timeframe, which was the summer going into my junior year when I lost weight and grew seven inches. Before that I was 5’6 and round, so my confidence was not even close to where it needed to be. Once I hit 6’1, I got in better shape which allowed me to do more. Now I’m 6’4 and slimmed down, so I’m feeling great and have ten times more confidence than what I had back then.  

HC: Do you believe you are romantic?

KD: Not really. I believe in love and chivalry, but I wouldn’t put myself in the romantic category.

HC: What is the most important part of a relationship to you?

KD: The talking stage is probably the most important. That’s where you get to best know your partner and determine if you want to take it further.

HC: Best/ Worst Date?

KD: Worst: I went out to dinner with someone I was interested in and they were extremely dry. They couldn’t hold a conversation that long, so it would get to a point where it was some awkward silence. Great person lol, just dry.

Best: I took someone go-karting and then to dinner. The go-karting was great because it was interactive, so neither of us were just sitting around. Both of us got to do something together even though we were competing. And it allowed me to see if she could drive lol.

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

KD: I either see myself as an active duty Army Officer working in the Cyber Operations branch or working for Lockheed Martin. I was fortunate to work with them this past summer and they are bringing me back for two more years, so I’m confident a full-time offer will surface.

HC: How do you feel about women?

KD: Confusing and difficult as hell, but I love them, especially Hampton Women lol. At Hampton, it’s like you take beautiful women in each state or area, and put them all on one campus. You can’t find them anywhere else.

Well ladies, there you have it! Be sure to follow this cute and single Hampton Man on Instagram & Twitter @__kndll.

Dazha is a junior Aviation Management major with a concentration in Air Traffic Control at Hampton University. A Maryland native, she enjoys the outdoors, cooking, and crafts projects. Upon graduation Dazha plans to commission into the United States military or go the civilian route and work as an Air Traffic Controller somewhere close to home.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.