Greek Of the Week: Daijah Proctor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus had the opportunity to speak with one of Hampton’s very own Devastating Divas, Daijah Proctor. Aside from being a Junior Kinesiology major, the Maryland native is a Spring 2016 initiate of the Gamma Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. She is heavily involved on campus and devotes her time to Student Recruitment Team and the Junior Community Service Committee. Get the scoop!

HC: What made you interested in your organization?

DP: I decided to join this organization for various reasons. Although I don’t have any Greek in my family, I was exposed to so many Delta’s back home. I saw a group of distinguished women who were involved in community service and scholarship.

HC: Do you feel as though being Greek changes people?

DP: I definitely believe that it depends on the person because Greek is what you make it. You shouldn’t let your organization make you, you should make it. I don’t think it has changed me, I feel as though it’s enhanced my platform.

HC: Do you find that your love life gets in the way of your obligations for your organization?

DP: I believe that it does, being in a long distance relationship there’s times where I want to talk to my significant other but there’s really not enough hours in the day. It’s kind of hard to balance the two.

HC: Do you believe that it’s possible to date other Greeks?

DP: I think it would be more challenging because your significant other would always be in the spotlight. I also think your schedules would conflict and it’d make things complicated

HC: What’s the best part about having line sisters?

DP: The best part is always having someone there for me, and being able to do what I love with such a distinguished group of girls?  

HC: Do you feel like people have a different perception of you because you’re Greek?

DP: People may have a preconceived notion about me that I’m stuck up but it’s not true. I’m really down to earth

HC: What does sisterhood mean to you?

DP: Having a bond that can’t be altered by anyone, as well as love and respect that’s mutual

HC: How do you balance your social life on top of everything else?

DP: It’s all about time management and letting your time go to the things that are most important. Relaxation and time for yourself is definitely key too.

HC: Who are you outside of being Daijah, the Delta?

DP: I believe that I’m a goofball and very goal-oriented. I can be kind of awkward at times but I stay true to myself.

Kennedy Brooks is a Junior Strategic Communications major from Sacramento, California. She enjoys listening to music, chilling on the beach, and eating Thai food. She wants to pursue a career in Public Relations and Marketing with an emphasis in the music industry. Eventually, she hopes to travel the world and embark on new journeys that come her way. A quote that she lives by is, "Consider becoming the type of energy that no matter where you go, or where you are, you always add value to the spaces and lives of those around you."