Greek of the Week: Aaron Mackell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Greek of the week is Aaron Mackell, a Senior Cyber Security major from Baltimore Maryland. He is a 2016 Spring initiate of the Gamma Epsilon Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated. This year, Aaron proudly serves as the 2017 – 2018 Secretary and member of The National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), a member of the 2017-2018 HBCU All-Star White House Initiative, and is Vice President for Career Center. He also serves as a member of the Men’s Caucus, Pre-College Peer Helpers program, and ACM (for Association of Computer Machinery). Aaron is very passionate about giving back to the community and uplifting those around him.

HC: When were you first exposed to Greek life?

AM: I was first exposed to Greek life when my older sister crossed here at Hampton in 2012 for the Gamma Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

HC: What made you interested in being a member of Omega Psi Phi.?

AM: I first became interested in Omega Psi Phi when I first started playing high school football for St. Frances Academy in Baltimore, MD and one of my coaches was an Omega man. That coach served as a great mentor and leader in my community. With his impact on my life, I felt an immediate connection and from there on my interest was sparked.

HC:  What would you say was one of the best memories you’ve had while being in your fraternity?

A.M. One of the best memories I have had while being in my fraternity was the GE Cookout of Spring 16. The fellowship, fun, and chicken lol just created great vibes and an unforgettable experience!

HC: What role do you feel like Black Greek Letter Organizations have in the Black Community?

AM: Black Greek Letter Organizations have the opportunity to collectively plan, organize, and execute initiatives to uplift the community in various aspects while directly having a positive impact on the overall success and growth of their institutions.

HC:  How has being Greek influenced your dating life?

AM: I can’t say that being Greek has had a real influence on my dating life. It has given me the opportunity to establish networks with many brilliant women however, my pursuit isn’t particularly focused on dating.

HC:  Since we are on the subject of dating, what are some qualities you look for in a girl?

AM: A woman that knows her self-worth. A woman that never settles for complacency. Someone that I can grow, build and achieve with honestly.

HC: You are the CEO of SupremeEatz, can you tell me a little bit about the inspiration behind its’ founding?

AM: SupremeEatz was essentially established from a passion I have for food shared with 3 phenomenal gentlemen that I consider my brothers by the names of Mason Parker (Co-Founder), Tyler Mason (Co-Founder), and Douglas Martin (Operations Manager). We essentially wanted to establish an affordable, quality catering service that implements innovative strategies behind various culinary creations. With the help from my partners, support from so many loving, positive people and what I call the 5 P’s of success (Prayer, Passion, Purpose, Patience, and Persistence) SupremeEatz will continue to expand and improve.

HC: How do you balance Greek life with all your school work and other career endeavors you’re currently working towards?

AM: Everything is boiled down to prioritizing and time management honestly. I personally have trouble with prioritizing in some instances. There are days where I’m faced with so many different tasks pulling me from regular schoolwork, SupremeEatz opportunities, and the other various campus organizations I’m a part of. However, I have learned to be able to distinguish between what must be done now versus what can be done later. Time is the most valuable asset; when you learn how to manipulate and manage it you reap the full benefit and the results follow.

HC:  What are your plans after graduation?

AM: I’m just honestly taking it day by day, staying on the path that was set for me while being thankful for the opportunities I’m presented with. Try not to worry about what’s too far in the future, I’m more just focused on creating a solid foundation now to create opportunities for myself in the future.

HC:  Who would you say is your biggest inspiration and why?

AM: My parents are my biggest inspiration. My mom, the most strong, resilient, intelligent woman I know.  My father, the most hardworking, diligent, and inspirational man I know. They have both dedicated and sacrificed 21 years of their lives to keep me on the path that was destined for me while showing me what it means to grind, work, and pursue what you love. With that right there, all the inspiration in the world was given to me.

HC: What is a quote that you live by?

AM: “Progress is the attraction that moves humanity,” – Marcus Garvey.

HC:  How would you describe yourself outside of being Aaron the Que?

AM: Very down to earth, chill type guy. I love to travel. I like to cook, read, and workout in my spare time. I live life to the fullest and take advantage of all that the world has to offer!

If you want to see more of Aaron be sure to follow him on Instagram and Twitter @ghostpro_10!

Kelsey Crimiel is a Junior strategic communications major, marketing minor from northern Virginia. She is very active on campus, and serves as a YouTube correspondent for Her Campus HamptonU. Kelsey is also a College Girls Inc. ambassador, a member of the junior class executive council, and a member of Q.U.E.E.N. mentoring program. She hopes to one day work in the music industry as a Publicist and Event Coordinator.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.