Campus Celebrity: Ya’Marie Sessay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus got the pleasure of interviewing Ya’Marie Sessay, to be a featured as this week’s Campus Celebrity! We’re not sure if you heard of her, but she’s kind of a big deal. Ya’Marie is a Senior Journalism major, from Lanham, Maryland, and she is the definition of what it means to be a Hampton Woman. Ya’Marie is a very ambitious, loving, and charismatic person, and exudes what it means to be a Campus Celebrity!

1. What is the biggest lesson Hampton University has taught you?

The biggest lesson that Hampton University has taught me, was that your first impressions always count. It is important to be graceful and professional when you meet new people on campus because that will be their lasting impression of you.

2. How do you contribute to your campus, being that you are a big influence to students at Hampton University?

Personally, I don’t see myself as a big influence on people, I think that I am just another student that is very involved. I try to influence people through my presence and sending good vibes. My motto is: “Always Good Vibes”, I try to exude my happiness onto others to spread positive energy to everyone that is around me.

3. What is one of your weaknesses, and how do you overcome it?

One of the downfalls of being a social butterfly is that I am involved in a lot things, and I don’t know how to say no to people. At the end of the day, you can’t do everything and spread yourself too thin. This summer I had a reality check and I had to prioritize what is really important to me. This year, I am only a part of The Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training Program and The African Student Association.

4. What made you want to participate in the Independent Miss Sierra Leone Pageant 2016?

I did the Junior Miss Sierra Leone Pageant where I came in second place, but I always wanted to find a way to give back to my country. I decided to join the Independent Miss Sierra Leone Pageant to execute my platform, Orphans Rising In Unity, where I give back to children that lost their parents due to Ebola. I competed in the pageant to spread awareness about my platform and I actually won. While competing in the pageant, it was very fun, stressful, and expensive. It was definitely a learning experience but I was able to give back to my country and that was all I ever wanted to do.

5. How do you use your platform to better the environment that is around you?

For the 2016-2017 school year, I was the president of the African Student Association, and I tried to push my platform while teaching others about my country and other cultures through my position. One of my goals last year was to uplift and teach students in the effort to remove ignorance, to help students better understand other cultures that are outside Hampton University.

6. What is a quote that best represents you?

I have a lot of quotes, but my quote/hashtag right now is: #NeverBlockYourBlessings. I think that there are so many opportunities that can come your way, and even if you are in a discouraging mood, you don’t want to block your blessings. Especially, when it comes to friendships, you never know who may be your boss in the future so you don’t want to burn bridges. Always remain humble and positive!

Be sure to follow Ya’Marie on Instagram & Twitter!  

Naya is a very outspoken, determined, and confident individual. She is currently studying at Hampton University, where she major's in Strategic Communication with a minor in Marketing. A fun fact about Naya, is that she loves the Sex and The City series, and her favorite character is Carrie! One of Naya's dreams is to be an entertainment publicist as well as opening her own public relations firm. A phrase that Naya lives by derives from 2 Cor. 4:17-18., "This too, Shall pass.". Although life can get dark and discouraging, there are more blessings coming my way.
Her Campus Contributor Account