Campus Celebrity: Nigil Crawford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus Hampton U had the opportunity to interview Nigil Crawford this week! Nigil is a graduating senior from Atlanta, Georgia who has his own photography business, NC Vision!

HC: So we hear you have your own business. Can you tell us about it?

NC: NC Visions is actually something I started a while ago, after my sophomore year. The story actually came to be because I was actually taking pictures as a hobby and working one summer and I decided to quit my 9-5 at Finish Line to launch my own photography business because it’s something I really love to do. In chasing this business, of course I have had some endeavors come my way but I am very grateful that I have the support from my family to actually ensure that my business would be everything great that it is going to be.

HC: What are some goals that you have set for your business?

NC: I want to be the next innovation of photography.  I don’t necessarily know what the big wave will be, like where’s Instagram going to be in a few years, where’s Snapchat going to be in a few years, but whatever the new wave is, I’m going to be on it. I want to be the next face of it.

HC: What is it about photography that interests you so much?

NC: That’s a good question. Photography to me is just my way of capturing memories for a lifetime. The way I view photography is, “My life is like a movie, a movie that is made of a thousand pictures, pictures that are worth well over a thousand words.” I’ve been using that ever since I was 9 years old. My grandfather gave me this camera, and I went out and played with it and my grandfather was suggested that I start taking photography more serious because I had an eye for capturing the right things at the right time. He’s the one who really helped me start chasing my passion.

HC: How long have you been doing photography?

NC: I’ve really been taking pictures ever since I was in elementary school. It really became big when I got my first real camera senior year of high school, and I was just amazed. I got it as a Christmas present, and when I first got it I really felt official like I’m a big boy now. Now I’m out here, I’m going around different places around my neighborhood taking pictures, just snapping, going out to family functions taking pictures and everyone actually thought I was a real photographer. Looking back on the pictures that I took from then and the pictures I take now and seeing the progress that I’ve made, the progress I’m still making, and the progress I will continue to make, I definitely can see myself monetizing at a big level.

HC: Why did you decide to attend Hampton University?

NC: Honestly, Hampton was not in my choices of schools. I was actually going to go to Morehouse. I received a band scholarship to go to Hampton. After I got into Hampton, I received an academic scholarship on top of that. Even after I got both acceptances, I wasn’t necessarily sure I was going to come because I got my acceptance in April, when financial submissions are supposed to be in. I took a tour of the campus during Spring Break, and I just fell in love with the campus. Ever since I came, I met a lot of new people that have put me in a brand new headspace that’s given me a new and fresh start, and I haven’t looked back since.

HC: What is it about you that makes you stand out from the rest?

NC: I’m still trying to figure that out to this day. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t know about others, but I’m always thinking ahead about what’s the next step opposed to living in the now. I’m always thinking ahead and thinking of how to monopolize and learn and gain new skills. HC: What do you plan to do after graduation?

NC: That chapter in my life is still being written. I do know that my longterm goal is to own my own film and photography company where I can actually write, direct, and edit my own movies. After graduation, I plan to work my way up to higher and higher positions and receive a secondary education. As many of my professors have said, work experience is always more valuable than school experience. School experience is important, but work experience is valuable to monetize with.

HC: Who are some people you look to as inspiration? Who motivates you to do and be better?

NC: Of course my family. I’ve always had the love and support from them. My mom, dad, and grandparents have always been my backbone ever since I started on this journey at Hampton 4 years ago. Other inspirations sometimes just come from music I listen to in the mornings. Sometimes I just walk around campus with my headphones in and I might be listening to Kid Cudi and get a little inspired, or I may even listen to Kanye or Migos to get some inspiration for the day. From the inspirations I get, I sit down and draw new things for my clothing line that I plan on launching this spring so be on the lookout for that.

Make sure to follow Nigil on social media!

Twitter: @Nigil Instagram: @n.c.vision & @lordnc Snapchat: nigilmc

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.