Blackflix and Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s that time of year again, for three weeks you return back home and with that comes chilling with your home bae. So when y’all are bored and need something to do here’s a pre-approved list of bomb Netflix movies and shows that will either set the mood, leave y’all dying laughing or in a heated conversation.

If you’re looking for something with Christmas vibes…

It’s always fun to watch christmas movies and bake some cookies, rather it’s with bae, best friends or your dog so here’s some movie to check out this holiday.

1. Marry Me for Christmas – Workaholic Macey returns home for christmas, after five years when she finds out her cousin Dana is moving to Haiti. Thinking she’ll just be rekindling with family, she’s in for a surprise when suddenly planning a wedding.

2. Christmas Wedding Baby – We all dream about having the perfect wedding, but this one quickly turns into anything but the perfect christmas wedding. It’s sure to keep you guessing what will happen next.

3. Last Holiday- First off, Queen Latifah is in it so you know it’s bomb! However she has a slightly different character in this movie, more shy and reserved until she finds out her time on earth is almost over and she hasn’t lived out any of her dreams.

Not on netflix but Black Christmas classics

Check your local listing BET usually has these in heavy rotation this time of year

1. This Christmas

2. Perfect Holiday

3. Almost Christmas

4. Holiday Heart

If you’re looking for the perfect mix of funny and romantic

Romantic comedies are always the move no matter who you’re watching the movie with here’s a few classics that will always leave you heart happy.

1. Beyond the Lights – If you haven’t seen this yet WYDDD? It follows a performer on her journey to self discovery and finding true love.

2. My Favorite Five – Finding the right guy is never easy so why not have five, but once you start catching feelings for one, who knows what’s next.

3. November Rule – Every year Steve breaks up with his current girlfriend on November 1st, but this time he may have lost the girl of his dreams.

4. Little Man (more comedic than romantic) – Suddenly you have a kid, only he’s not a kid but rather an escaped convict, entangled in a diamond heist that has gone south.

Not on Netflix but again classic Black romantic comedies

1. The Wood

2. Love and Basketball

3. Love Jones

4. Brown Sugar

5. Poetic Justice

If you’re looking for something a little more serious

Christmas movies get old and so do comedies sometime you need something with a little more meaning, these movies are for you.

1. Brotherly Love – Three siblings, one mom all trying to make out of the hood, but quite a few things get in there way. (This movie has a huge plot twist it’s not for the weak hearted)

2. Beast of No Nation- The story of Child Soldier, and his journey to fight for his country during a civil war.

3. Luv – Every Nephew, wanted to be like there uncle, well in one day an 11 year old boy learns enough life lesson to last him an eternity.

4. Dope – Young, Black and Gifted living in the hood, somehow ends up with drugs and now has to make the decision of a lifetime.

5. Where Children Play – A woman is forced to return home and nurse her abuser.

6. 13th – A break down of everything wrong with the criminal justice system and the history of why it disportionately affects people of color

7. Fresh Dressed – Black style from adidas jumpsuits and gold chains to FUBU and more.

If you’ve got a whole day to hangout here’s some great shows to check or rewatch

1. Chewing Gum – Follows a young British women and her day to day life

2. Bernie Mac Show – Family favorite, gives classic Black family vibes

3. A Different World- Hampton in a tv show, love, friends, finals and all the great things about going to HBCU

4. The Get Down – Teenagers day to days experiences in the Bronx in the 1970s

I am my ancestors wildest dreams