Black Youtubers You Should Be Following

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

There are thousand of women on YouTube who are beauty gurus, but unfortunately black women are the minority. Many of the black women go unnoticed and don’t receive as much exposure as other youtubers. With that said, black women must support our own! Here are 10 black beauty gurus that you must watch on YouTube.

Jackie Aina  

Jackie Aina is one of the most notable black beauty vloggers on YouTube. She recently hit 1 million subscribers after almost ten years of creating content. However, her number of subscribers did not keep her from success. Before reaching one million she completed two successful makeup collaborations with E.L.F cosmetics and Artist Couture. Jackie proudly embraces her dark brown skin, her 4c curls, and her wigs on her channel. She shares so much knowledge on makeup for beginners and experts. She slays all day and is a beautiful inspiration for every black woman. Many of the other black women on youtube call her “mom” because she is #goals! Her channel is a must watch!

Vicky Logan

This lovely lady’s channel has a great vibe. Not only does she do great music, and can rock almost every hair style in any color, but Vicky gives great advice. My favorite videos from her are her #Vickyvibes videos where she discusses relatable topics while she does her makeup and hair. Vicky is a young married Christian and her channel is a great mixture of real life, bomb fashion and beauty.

GlamTwinz

Kelsey and Kendra Murrell are extremely popular on YouTube. First, they are one of the few twins who share a channel on YouTube, but my favorite thing about them is their hair. They have healthy, long, natural hair that they rock straight and curly. This is special because they are showing their viewers, especially those who aren’t black, that black women can grow long, healthy hair. They also have a book on healthy hair and not to mention their makeup is bomb. They were recently honorees for NBC’s 28 black “innovators and game changers” under 28 years old.  I’ve been watching these long haired beauties since they were in their purple bedroom filming on their webcam and it’s inspiring to see how much they’ve accomplished since then.

Jayla Korian

Jayla is probably the most relatable black youtuber right now. She’s a senior in college, she attends an HBCU and deals with the same stuff we do. While focusing on fashion, and beauty she still discusses her boy problems, finances and her uncertainty of her future. Jayla expands on these topics in her book, Pretty & Educated: The College Girl’s Guide to Everything. She takes her subscribers along with her as she parties, hangs out with friends, studies and simply lives life. Go subscribe!

Raven Elyse

If you haven’t seen her on YouTube you’ve probably seen her picture floating around on Instagram or Tumblr. Raven Elyse is another young youtuber who’s channel has flourished. We’ve watched her go from a college student to now a mother. Raven creates some of the most edgy outfits and just released her own merchandise. She is also very transparent with her life and her daughter Ziya is the cutest.  

Jade Kendle (LipsticknCurls)

Jade also started her channel while she was in college. It was motivating to see her balance her YouTube channel while pursuing her bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Jade is best known for her hair tutorials featuring her luscious curls. She used her platform to do a nationwide tour called “Curls Over Brunch” to empower women to embrace their natural hair. Jade’s sweet personality is a breath of fresh hair.

Style with Substance

Nodreen is fairly new in the YouTube world but she has already set herself apart. Not through her makeup or her endorsements, but through her unique channel content. She makes videos on fashion and hair but she also focuses on finances and lifestyle. Nodreen has video series on careers, financial wellness, investing and more. Her content definitely reflects her channels name “style with substance”.

Missy Lynn

Air Force enlisted with a makeup brush.” That is Missy Lynn. Missy does makeup tutorials, fashion hauls, vlogs and she’s in the air force! She also collaborated with BH cosmetics to create Missy Lynn Color Lock Lipsticks in four shades. Missy recently purchased her first house and took her subscribers along for the process.

NaturalNeiicy

Shaneice is a natural girl with poppin curls and her melanin pops severely! She touches on everything natural hair, fashion and beauty. If you’re into subtler makeup, her channel is perfect for you but she gives great outfit inspiration.

Makeupshayla

Every makeup look Shayla does is flawless, every look. She doesn’t have as many videos as some other gurus because she took a quick hiatus but now she is back in action. She has a variety of tutorials from brows to highlighting and contouring. If you want to learn how to beat a face search no more because Shayla will show you. She also did a limited edition contour palette with Tarte Cosmetics.

Check out these lovely ladies’ channels and don’t forget to subscribe!