Binge Watch Black History With These 7 Netflix Documentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Miss Black History Month already? Were 28 days too short for you to enjoy the beautiful history of the black experience? Well, you don’t have to take a trip to your library archives to learn more about black history. All you need is a Netflix account! Here are seven documentaries you can find on Netflix relating to Black culture, history, and experience.

1. The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution

In the mood for black berets and fros? Then this is the documentary for you. The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution focuses on the brief, yet impactful black power movement created by the Black Panthers. Information comes straight from the panther’s mouth with exclusive interviews of former members of The Black Panther Party.

2. Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise

Named after Angelou’s beautiful poetry book, this documentary follows the life and legacy of this iconic activist/author. Interviews with Angelou herself, as well as Oprah, Hillary Clinton, Common and others, help paint the colorful life of a colorful author.  

3. Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown

The Godfather of soul, James Brown, may have risen to fame a little before our time, but his music and style still has an influence on many of today’s artists. The documentary mainly focuses on Brown’s ascent to legendary status in the music industry, but it also includes some of his work as a social activist.

4. Hip Hop Evolution

Travel back in time to the birth of hip-hop with OG’s like Grandmaster Flash, Ice T, Ice Cube and others. This documentary series dives right into the birthplace of hip-hop in the Bronx, New York. If you enjoyed the Netflix original, “The Get Down,” then you’ll love “Hip Hop Evolution.”

5. What Happened, Miss Simone  

Nina Simone was best known for her musical talents and outstandingly strong personality. Of course in life where there are success and happiness, there is also pain and sadness. “What Happened, Miss Simone” touches on both high points and the low points in this queen’s life including her history with her abusive husband.

6. 13th

This highly-acclaimed film directed by the legendary Ava DuVernay focuses on the connection between the 13th Amendment (abolishing slavery) and mass incarceration. Duvernay’s stunning cinematography and provocative interviews will have you at the edge of your bed.

7. LA 92

Police brutality has been a constant struggle with the black community. While this generation has seen the lack of justice for Philando Castile and Mike Brown, our parents and grandparents witnessed the injustice of the Rodney King Trial. This documentary takes viewers right to Los Angeles in 92 by featuring real provocative footage from that crazy period, including the actual beating of Rodney King.

Source: https://tsloftblog.com/tag/today/

So, spend your spring break watching these enlightening and educational documentaries. And remember Black History Month is every month!

Leenika, or Nika, is a junior journalism major at Hampton University. She is a native of Laurel, Maryland and is a very proud Marylander. In addition to writing for HerCampus, Leenika is also the lifestyle editor of the Hampton Script. Follow her on twitter @callme_nika and on Instagram at lovely_nika.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.