Being a Black Woman in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Being Black is hard, being a woman is hard, but being a Black Woman is powerful. Black women are hated, underrated, and imitated. We are not just underestimated because of our gender but also because of the color of our skin. Although Black Women go through the most, Black women as a whole are the strongest. We carry the pain of everyone else on their shoulders, without showing any weakness. Black women being so strong comes from generations of strength. Because of our strength, we are motivated and ambitious.

Black women are judged constantly for “flaws” that are applauded in other women. “She is too dark,” yet our society imitates our skin complexion by tanning and giving compliments about how great the tan is. “She is overweight,” but praise Kim Kardashian for having an injected, voluptuous body. Plastic surgeons make $300,000 a year to recreate a Black woman’s body by intensifying the lips, hips, and butts of women to resemble that of a natural Black queen. Why praise fake rather than real?

Speaking of real, why do some Black men say they do not want to date Black women because they have too much attitude, they are too loud, and they are always mad? Yet, they adore women of other races because of their “fiestiness” and avoid Black women. Why are we considered the “Angry Black Woman” when we keep it real with our Black men? In Tyler Perry’s “Diary of a Mad Black Woman” she is portrayed as a hurt, enraged Black woman. Wouldn’t you be hurt if your spouse of 18 years broke you down and left you dry and out for someone else? Hurt is an appropriate emotion to all of the pain that Black women have to endure, but our hurt is constantly being misconstrued as angriness. We support you, we uplift you, and we pray for you. We love them, they love them, but who is going to love us?

Your mom loved you, she is a Black Queen. She and many Black women in our society have worked hard to raise us and establish a foundation for our households, communities, and occupations. Black women in politics, medicine, and business fields are not given the same opportunities as other races and gender. We have to work 10 times harder than others in our fields. As statistics show, 14.2% of women occupy leadership positions in S&P 500 with black women occupying an even less of a percent than that. It is up to us to beat the statistics and continue to work hard despite the competition and haters so we can continue to lay the foundation that will eventually help us continue to boss up as a black female unit.

Although Black women go through body shaming, hate, defamation of character and emotions, and unequal opportunities in the work force we still rise above. Being aware that you are Black and a female in this society should make you proud. We are strong and powerful and no other person of race or gender could walk in our shoes. Our struggles make us strong and unique. We can conquer anything because being a black woman today is one of the hardest challenges we will ever face due to all the odds being against us. All it does is makes us resilient. The world may never change, but WE can change the world. Starting today, keep your head up to balance that beautiful crown like a Black Queen no matter the obstacles thrown at you.

Mia is funny, creative, and caring. She is a Junior Marketing Major at Hampton University from Charlotte, North Carolina. One of her favorite things to do is eat, eat, eat. Little girl big girl appetite. She also enjoys watching all the ratchet and drama filled "reality" shows. Mia enjoys being surrounded by friends and family. She is a great listener and advice giver. She lives by the motto what is for you will be for you, and that God always has a plan for you no matter how down and out you may be, so trust in him and the purpose he has laid out for you. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.