This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Photo: Nerdist

No major spoilers ahead! As a Netflix show, it’s very easy to become a victim of spoilers, but I can assure you that my review on Stranger Things 2 reveals only minor details of the newest episodes. Part of the reason it’s so easy to accidentally read something about Stranger Things is that because it’s so popular, the moment it was released it caused an outbreak of excitement among its viewers. Most of us probably felt like this when Stranger Things 2 finally came out:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0EwXSRHxBKY5v5gQ/giphy.gif

But the truth is, season two hit us hard; it was an emotional rollercoaster. It was intensely dark, scary and serious, but ultimately it surpassed the greatness of season one.

First of all, the addition of new characters was both refreshing and filled with tension. Although the main cast is utterly amazing, “Madmax” and Bob brought new dimensions to the happenings of Hawkins. The story needed a few fresh faces to mix things up. This season plays especially well on the power of teamwork, and the new characters only helped make that team stronger.

“I think the reason the show is so popular is because it awakens that sense of adventure and friendship in everyone,” First-year Kat McCullum said.

Relationships feel extra special in this show, which easily creates an attachment between the show and its viewers. Everyone can relate to someone, regardless of age or gender. 

Apart from the new characters, the show continues to morph in other ways. The friendships in season two remain the same, but some relationships have changed, the monsters have changed, and even the “evil scientists” have changed.

“The evolution of both the characters and the otherworldly enemies in this new season add so many new layers and plots twists,” Dunwoody student Sean Cornell explains.

If Elle wasn’t rebellious enough in the first season, she becomes even cooler this time around. She finds out a lot of dark secrets about her past, but they only make her fiercer, to which she would say, “Bitchin’.” 

Despite all of the additions, the foundations that made Stranger Things so enjoyable in the first place carry through to the second season. The fantastic combination of fun, adventure and horror makes for an unforgettable show whether it’s the first or second season. And that’s what makes it so great.

“The show masterfully intertwines a horror experience, utilizing the fear of the unknown, with great comedy and characters to boot. It’s that good.” First-year Gannon Larson said, which pretty much sums it up.

If you haven’t seen Stranger Things or Stranger Things 2 yet, now’s a great time to start. Each season is less than 10 episodes, and they fit so well together that you won’t notice you’re binging them until it’s too late.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.