This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Living in Minnesota, we have a lot of beautiful nature right at our fingertips. You don’t even have to leave the cities to see Minnehaha Falls, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum or various lakes (which, as we all know, are literally everywhere). But for those times when you need to get away from the city completely, Minnesota is also extremely lucky to have amazing state parks. Being a native Minnesotan, I like to think that I have some pretty good expertise on  said parks. That being said, here are five of my favorite Minnesota state parks.

While you’re in Beaver Creek Valley State Park, it doesn’t feel like you’re actually in southeastern Minnesota, Land of Cornfields™. Beaver Creek runs through the park, shallow enough to wade in (but watch out, it’s cold!) and without much of a current. In order to get to the campground part of Beaver Creek Valley, you actually have to drive over a special concrete road through the creek. The park isn’t too far away from the small town of Caledonia, so if you decide you want to leave nature for a bit, you don’t have to drive hours.

Driving time from Hamline: 2 hours, 31 minutes

Nearest city: Houston, MN

A bridge over Beaver Creek, courtesy of Minnesota DNR website.

A favorite throughout my childhood, Jay Cooke State Park is perfect for adventurous souls and hikers. The park features a swinging suspension bridge originally built in 1924 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It’s not for the faint-hearted, being that it’s directly above the raging waters of the St. Louis River. If you do brave the bridge to get to the other side, there are many paths for you to choose to hike on. Perhaps you even want to get up close and personal with the river gorge by walking along the side of the river or up on rocky outcrops*. When your day is coming to a close, don’t rush out! Jay Cooke has a great campsite, including both electrical (camper) or tent sites and a community bathroom.

Driving time from Hamline: 1 hour, 58 minutes

Nearest city: Cloquet, MN

*please be careful when climbing and take appropriate precautions!

The view of the St. Louis River from Jay Cooke State Park’s swinging bridge, courtesy of Minnesota DNR website.

Just south of the Boundary Waters lies Bear Head Lake State Park, a great place to bring your family for some bonding time! The park includes land bordering the Bear Head, Cub, Blueberry and Norberg lakes, though the swimming beach is on Bear Head. Being that this park is near Ely, you can head into town and visit the International Wolf Center. The park is great for fishing (trout in Norberg and Cub lakes, walleye and more in Bear Head). Want to explore the water a little more? Head for the boat rental area and grab a canoe to enjoy some much-needed peace and quiet!

Driving time from Hamline: 3 hours, 43 minutes

Nearest city: Ely, MN

Norberg Lake in Bear Head Lake State Park, courtesy of Minnesota DNR website.

Love history, exploring and want some place to go that really rocks? Then Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park is the perfect place for you (yes, I did make a pun about rocks and caves). There’s something for everyone at this unique park: history buffs should check out historic Forestville, a restored town from the 1800s that, during the summer months, features costumed actors that give tours and demonstrations or help you in the Meighen General Store. Horse riders are welcome at this park as well, and can stay in electric or non-electric horse campsites and ride the trails. Last but certainly not least, those who are interested in exploring should take a tour of Mystery Cave. Inside the cave is Turquoise Lake, a stunning highlight of the tour.

Driving time from Hamline: 2 hours

Nearest city: Preston, MN

The inside of Mystery Cave, courtesy of Minnesota DNR website.

Tettegouche State Park is a hiker’s and climber’s paradise, sitting right on the shores of Lake Superior. Features of the park include numerous hiking trails (Superior Hiking Trail, Superior Beach Trail, Red Dot Trail and more), a floating bog, Cave of the Waves and the High Falls going into the Baptism River (which is the highest waterfall within Minnesota’s borders). Tettegouche also has four historic camper cabins that you can rent year-round as well as backpacking and drive-in campsites. Lastly, do you live for views? This park is definitely for you, with overlooks of the Superior, Mic Mac and Tettegouche Lakes.

Driving time from Hamline: 3 hours, 19 minutes

Nearest city: Silver Bay, MN

The High Falls in Tettegouche State Park, courtesy of Minnesota DNR website.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.