Junk Food from Our Neighbors to The North

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Anyone who has ever been outside of our country can probably agree  that America doesn’t do junk food right. Between using sour milk in Hershey’s chocolate, to having less options when it comes to chips, there is no doubt in my humble opinion that Canada, our neighbors to the north, know how to do junk food ten times better.

Kit Kats:

Canadian Kit Kat Bar from Nestle; Photo courtesy of cbc.ca

I know they look the same no matter what country they’re in, but trust me, they taste way better when they’re not in the U.S. I don’t know what they do to them here, but in Canada they are ten times creamier and more tasteful. It may have something to do with the fact that America, especially Hershey’s, uses sour milk in their chocolate. Except for smores, when you need the melting point to be lower, Canadians have way better chocolate and Kit Kats are no exception.

Cheezies:

Cheezies displayed in their red and white bag; Photo courtesy of  valuevalet.ca

I will have to admit, I’m very fond of the American brand, Cheetos, but the Canadian Cheezies have way more of a crunch. Seeming to ramp up the cheese taste that Cheetos have by ten, Cheezies are larger than Cheetos in both size and taste. The cheese residue builds upon your fingers like there’s no tomorrow, but man do I love that crunching sound that they make, and they don’t weirdly dissolve in your mouth like Cheetos do so easily.

Old Dutch Ketchup chips:

An open bag of Ketchup Chips ready for enjoyment; Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Hands down, Old Dutch in Canada is more favorable than Old Dutch chips in America. If you want a flavor party in your mouth go for the Old Dutch salt and vinegar chips in Canada. Along with old favorites though, Old Dutch in Canada also has a multitude of flavors that Americans don’t have, such as Ketchup flavored chips. I know it sounds gross, and these chips are bright red and look like they may kill you, but honestly, they don’t taste like ketchup. They are salty and almost sour in your mouth. There isn’t a taste that can be quantified with these chips except they’re just Ketchup Chips. In my opinion the Salt and Vinegar chips are hard to beat, but Ketchup Chips are up there. So next time you’re in Canada just try as many Old Dutch chips as you can.

Poutine:

Poutine on display in a handy traveling box; Photo courtesy of blogto

There’s nothing that poutine can’t fix. Fries covered in gravy with cheese curds melted in is a treat for any day. I’m sorry to say American’s poutine is wrong. The gravy isn’t thick enough and the cheese isn’t cheese curds. If Americans can’t do it right they really shouldn’t do it at all honestly. When done right poutine is the ultimate comfort food.

Aero Bars:

Aero Bar broken in half to show off its savory bubbles; Photo courtesy of englishteastore.com

Either in mint or plain chocolate, Aero Bars are a wavy chocolate bar with bubbles in the middle. I know a while back Hershey tried to emulate Aero Bars through their product Air Delights. These were a sad replica of the great Aero Bars for they weren’t creamy at all and just crumbled all over the place like the sad excuse for a substitute that they are. The mint Aero Bars are honestly my favorite and I make sure to ask for them any time my grandparents offer to send a care package.

Kinder Eggs:

Kinder Egg cracked open to reveal its orange capsule; Photo courtesy of inquisitr.com

Illegal in America because stupid American kids may choke on the toy inside, Kinder Eggs were a staple of my childhood. Originating from Germany, Kinder Eggs are a chocolate egg with an orange capsule inside with a toy. These chocolates are illegal to take over the border and have heavy finds if you are caught smuggling them across. The best Easter I had was when I received a giant Kinder Egg that was the size of my head with an orange capsule inside. The toy was a sailboat that could float around in a tube of water. No one tell, but every summer my family ends up smuggling some back over the border to share with friends. There’s a surprise in every egg, if you’re ever able to open those capsules.  

Kinder Eggs being held captive instead of enjoyed by American kids; Photo courtesy of beheadingboredom.com

Over all I think it’s fair to say that Canadians know how to do junk food. This list doesn’t even mention Tim Hortons donuts, or the fact that for some reason A&W has a wider range of selection on their menu in Canada than in America. So next time when you reach for some American junk food, know deep down that you could be having something better if only you were living on the other side of the border.  

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.