How to Swing Back Into School After Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

We had all been looking forward to spring break for so long that by the time it did come we fully threw ourselves into it. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I was in full lazy-mode after breakstaying up late, sleeping in and doing absolutely nothing during the day. However, now that spring break is over, it’s time to get back into the swing of things. Here are some tips to help regain your motivation.

Set a consistent sleep schedule:

The hardest part about going back to school is not being able to sleep in everyday (unless you’re one of those lucky souls who doesn’t have 8 or 9 a.m. classes). Starting to go to bed earliereven just by an hourcan do wonders for your health and concentration during the day. Making sure that your sleep is consistent is also helpful, as your body will become accustomed to falling asleep and waking up at the same time.

Stay active:

If you still have some excess lazy vibes left over from spring break, exercising can really help boost your mood. Even if you don’t go to the gym everyday, try to stay active by doing things like taking the stairs or just walking around campus. It’s finally getting nicer out, so soak up as much vitamin D as you can.

Don’t save homework until the last minute:

We’re all guilty of procrastinating, especially me. But if you’re still in the mood to play games, take a nap, or hang out with friends, doing your homework earlier in the day can make your nights much more relaxing and open. Start the second half of this semester off right, so that you can start procrastinating only at the very end of the semester.

Clean and re-organize your room:

You can help yourself stay productive by cleaning your space. First, you’ll want to actually clean your room: wipe down counters, dust, vacuum, etc. There’s a lot of spring colds/sickness going around, so you can protect yourself by killing the germs you live with. Secondly, you can clean by organizing your stuff. It’s hard to concentrate on your schoolwork if you can’t even see your desk under the piles of papers. Set up your space in a way that will help you focus.

Make a list and use a planner:

Tell yourself right now how you plan to finish off the year. Use a planner and write out how you plan to do everything that needs to be done. If you know what pace you need to go at, you’ll feel better pushing off a thing or two if you know you have time. Write down important due dates, test dates or application deadlines so that you can prepare for them in advance. Put yourself in control of this semester.

If you still feel like you’re having a hard time dealing with getting back to school, here are some helpful resources located on campus:

The Writing Center offers assistance with developing thesis statements and editing papers.

Academic Advising can help you decide which courses to take or what to major in.

The Career Development Center can help you edit your resume, find internships or practice interviews.

Health Services offers counseling and group therapy for a variety of issues, as well as vaccinations and doctor appointments.

Off campus, you can look at Target or other cheaper stores for school or cleaning supplies, or fun snacks to keep you motivated.

Have an organized Semester Pipers!

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.