Women’s March on Utica

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

If you have ever been to Utica, NY you are aware of its unique vacantness. The streets lack the bustling people one might expect in a city of its size, and the architecture rings of past glory. It was on one of those empty architecturally intriguing streets that I found myself this past Saturday, while most everyone else it seemed was marching in Washington D.C.

Several friends and I had ventured to Utica to attend a local sister rally of the Women’s March on Washington. As we walked toward the location of the meeting, we had no idea what to expect. We entered the building, which appeared to be some kind of old theater, to find about 30 people clustered in hushed, small groups all dawning various anti-Trump gear. After signing in, we hesitantly walked across the room to claim a table, acutely aware of how much we stood out as young college students from a ritzy liberal arts school. Our uncertainty about our level of welcome immediately subsided when two adorably feisty old women in bright pink homemade “pussy hats” invited us to join their table to, “bridge the generational divide.” Finally feeling at ease, we settled in to listen to the various speakers.

The speeches that followed were impassioned and heartfelt. While they may have lacked the refinement of the speeches given on the National Mall that same day, they perfectly reflected the casual nature of this small, spirited community. What I was most impressed with though, were not the speeches themselves, but rather the open dialogue that they fostered. There were a few times over the course of the event where the speakers said something that unfortunately veered into the realm of stereotypes, religious misunderstanding and over exaggeration. Instead of standing by idly, these citizens spoke out and corrected the speaker’s misstep. By doing this, the speakers were able to realize where they had gone wrong and encouraged to rethink their logic regarding the controversial topic. This ability to have an honest and open dialogue is a crucial part of learning how to comprehend ideas that challenge your understanding of the world, and I am happy to see that Utica has it.

At first, I thought Utica was empty, forgotten city; however, it is clear to me now that this population, although often unseen, is still very much engaged and present in the current political scene.   

A photo from a Women’s March in San Francisco 

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.