Why You Should Get an STI Test Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Let’s face it. We’ve all had a night or two when we’ve ditched the condom, and had unprotected sex. Maybe he didn’t bring one. Or maybe it broke. Or maybe you just said “to hell with it!” because you both know it feels so much better without that annoying piece of plastic between you. But as nice as it may feel in the moment, there are consequences to unprotected sex that you probably didn’t learn about in that seventh-grade sex ed class. Read on to learn why you, and all your girlfriends, should go get tested for sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) today.

As we all know, unprotected sex can lead to unwanted pregnancy, and a multitude of STIs. I know you’ve heard of some of the front runners: HIV/AIDS, herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, crabs, etc. We learn in school that these STIs are dangerous to our reproductive health, and that we should use condoms to protect ourselves. And what about if the condom breaks, or isn’t used in the first place? We learn about the symptoms to look for, and to see a doctor to treat our bodies if need be.

While that remains true today, research now indicates that certain STIs, believe it or not, can be asymptomatic. The problem with an asymptomatic infection? You may not know when you have one. Yes, you read that right. You could have an STI right now and not know it. Meaning you might have contracted an STI and have no symptoms to signal you about it.

Specifically, I am talking about two of the most rampant STIs in America today: chlamydia and gonorrhea. Both infections, if treated, can be cured within a matter of weeks (thank God for modern medicine!).

However, if left untreated, chlamydia and gonorrhea can develop into what’s called pelvic-inflammatory disease (PID). Ladies, PID is no joke. PID is one of the most serious complications of STIs in women. It can lead to irreversible damage to women’s reproductive organs, such as the uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes. PID is the primary cause of infertility in women in America today. Each year, more than 1 million women experience PID. Sadly, as a result of PID, more than 100,000 women become infertile each year! And the rate of infection is highest among young women and teenagers, like us.

I don’t mean to scare you. However, I do mean to educate you about the consequences of having unprotected sex and not getting tested afterwards. So please, take care of yourself and use a condom (safety is sexy!). And make an appointment at Hamilton’s health center to get checked out (they’ll test you for every STI under the sun with no judging looks, and at a low cost).

To learn more about PID, visit Planned Parenthood’s comprehensive website: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/stds-hiv-safer-sex/pelvic-inflammatory-disease-pid

Carolyn is a junior at Hamilton College. She is a Women's Studies major and Government minor. Carolyn loves to play acoustic guitar, sing a cappella music, travel and draw!
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.