Why We’re Excited About the Color Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Why We’re Excited About the Color Run

Among the slew of all-campus emails and signs in Commons for upcoming all-campus parties, I’m sure most of you have heard about the Color Run coming up this Saturday, held by Women’s Rugby and Operation Smile. According to the all-campus emails, the run is a “non-competitive 5k run in which people will be stationed to decorate the runners with colored powder (like in Holi).” Now, I despise running as much as any old couch potato, but this particular run struck my eye. Since I’ll be away this weekend, I would love for some of my fellow Hamilton collegiettes to do the run so I can live vicariously through you. Without further ado, here are some reasons to participate in the Color Run!

1)    It benefits a great cause: Operation Smile. Hamilton has a chapter of this charity, which works to provide free cleft lip and cleft palate surgeries for children around the world who cannot afford them. So, participating in the run means you’re helping to improve the lives of children around the world, which is a pretty great selling point.

2)    Exercise! As much as I said I personally dislike running, it really is a great way to exercise, and this run is far from your average 5k. It’s totally non-competitive, so you can go at your own pace the whole time. Plus, it gives you a great excuse to pig out at Diner or Commons after!

3)    Meet new people! Nothing really brings people together than running alongside one another. So if you’re looking to branch out, this is a great way to start!

4)    Last, but not least, people are throwing colored powder on you. As you run, you’ll slowly turn into a beautiful rainbow of colors; you’ll be a canvas full of bright paint, swirling together on your skin. Not only will that be an amazingly cool experience, but it will also be incredibly fun! And before you wash it all off, you can walk proudly around campus and acknowledge your fellow runners, who you’ll recognize by their rainbow-painted skin.

So try out the Color Run if you’re available! It should be a really great experience!

Heather is a sophomore at Hamilton College who plans to major in English. She is a pescetarian who is afraid of spiders, hates mayonnaise, and loves traveling and spending time with friends and family.