This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Take Your Time

At dinner last night, my friend Erin Bernard, a senior, said something I think everyone needs to hear: Time isn’t everything. The world isn’t going to end if you’re a few minutes late for a meeting or a class, and often when you say that you need to do something, it’s probably not that pressing.

This is something that I do know deep down, but it’s hard to accept, and it’s even harder to live by. Our society moves so quickly, and especially for college students and young adults, there’s constant pressure to be doing… well, everything. We feel like we need to continuously reach another accomplishment, gain a new experience, make more money or more connections, but all for what?  

Yes, we need to be responsible, and it can only help us to be ambitious, but we can’t do everything, and we’ll burn ourselves out if we try. Sometimes, it’s important to just relax. Take a little longer to finish your homework if it means you can take breaks and feel calmer and more competent while doing it. Skip a club meeting every once in a while if it’s been a long day. Try to be on time for things, but you’re not going to ruin anything if you’re not.